ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: maximal time between ro usage

Registered Member

Default maximal time between ro usage

Hello,
    considering i still dont know, if i will or wont start my aquarium and that i still have some mileage on my ro prefilters i was wondering what is a maximal time between ro usage (once per week, once per month)? My unit has flush valve, so it can take care of bacterial/lime buildup.
    Thanks.

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: maximal time between ro usage

Hi Pleco-
    Could you elaborate a bit? Not really sure what you are asking.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

I normally use RO 5 hours per week . Now i am waiting if i can start my tank again (i had a shorter pause) and i dont need my ro. I am asking what is a maximal time for idle reverse osmosis, before the bacteria and lime buildup. I still have some mileage on my prefilters, so i dont want to throw them away yet. My Ro has a flush valve, so i can flush those buildup on my membrane.

Real Name
    Jim

I believe the main variable is whether or not you keep your membranes wet between uses. If they remain submerged (preferably inside the pressure vessel) you should not have anything to worry about. Dried membranes should be disposed of.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member

If your unit has an automatic shut off valve, you don't have any leaks, and you shut off the other valves after it activates, the water in your unit should be under pressure. That should prevent any bacterial growth and keeps the ro membrane wet. If you haven't used your unit for a week or so, I would do the flush valve for about 5-10 minutes and you should be fine. If you have a TDS meter, you can check a sample batch to make sure the membrane hasn't ruptured.