AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milky water in aging barrel

Default Re: Milky water in aging barrel

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    The slime that forms on hoses in the water barrel is not necessarily bacteria, it can become a growth medium for bacteria but it starts out as something else. The technical term for it is "goo".
    LOL I see... I figured it was biofilm, the same crap that builds up on the glass... either I dont notice it as much on my other tanks or Discus tanks make a LOT more of it... I notice it if I dont wipe the glass after a week.

Registered Member

Default Re: Milky water in aging barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    Hello!
    I recently started experimenting (and having good results) with using a Nitrate adsorbing resin to remove Nitrate I have strait out of the tap while I have the water in my aging barrel. However I am now dechlorinating the water as I add it in so I don't harm the resin, vs right before I used it like before. I notice that the water has a very slight milky appearance even after ~20 hours. I notice it when added to the tank as well, but it clears itself in an hour or so.

I am figuring this is bacterial bloom of some sort, I just want to see if others experience this (perhaps those with well water that doesn't contain chlorine already??) when aging, even for a day - and if whatever is growing in there could cause harm or stress to the Discus.

I am currently not aerating the water (PH settles out overnight without it) but am wondering if that may help since the water will not be stagnant?

Would love to hear some thoughts, thank you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12