AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What did I do wrong?!?!

Registered Member

Default What did I do wrong?!?!

I thought I had a breeding pair, on Saturday at noon, things were going good, both male and female were cleaning the breeding cone intensely and doing their shaking routine. The process was going on for hours up until the night, the breeding tank is in the garage and it gets pitch dark at night, so I turn on a nightlight, like I usually do. Hoping to see them lay eggs before I go to bed I watched and observed for a few minutes, all of a sudden the cleaning turned into fighting?!?! Like tails getting shredded and scales falling fighting, so I let them be and went to bed. Couple of days later after doing a WC, the female still faces the cone doing minor cleaning pecks and shaking not as intense as Saturday, the male looks like he has no interest. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!? I can't get to the laying egg stage. Didn't know breeding Discus was this difficult!!

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: What did I do wrong?!?!

With really good pairs breeding discus is easy, but there are way more so so pairs and young pairs than there are really good ones. They may simply need a little more time to figure it out or you might even have two males.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    With really good pairs breeding discus is easy, but there are way more so so pairs and young pairs than there are really good ones. They may simply need a little more time to figure it out or you might even have two males.
    I'm hoping time is key, its only been less than a week when putting them together.

I'm sure that I have a M/F, the breeding tube dropped, one Discus has a curved pointy tube, the other is straight almost rectangular tube <-- if thats not the case then I've been reading LIES!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    I'm hoping time is key, its only been less than a week when putting them together.

I'm sure that I have a M/F, the breeding tube dropped, one Discus has a curved pointy tube, the other is straight almost rectangular tube <-- if thats not the case then I've been reading LIES!! lol
    Looking at the tubes usually works but not always. I had one that I couldn't figure out. I posted picture of the tube on another site to some of the guys like John and Rick and out of the 6 or so people the guess was half female and half male.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    Looking at the tubes usually works but not always. I had one that I couldn't figure out. I posted picture of the tube on another site to some of the guys like John and Rick and out of the 6 or so people the guess was half female and half male.
    Thanks for the input Larry, I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably leave them together for another week to see how it goes.

Another question, is light needed at night for spawning? I know it's needed for frys to look for their parents.

I believe a little light is good for all discus. Complete darkness means they can't see prey and will be nervous.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association