ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long-term non-stop white poop

Question Long-term non-stop white poop

Hi All,

My 5" red melon has been in the hospital tank for over a month. She still eating but not much, also not active at all.
    Colour still very nice and does not have peppering, holes, fin problem etc. Only that she keep showing white poop for the whole time.
    I know it isn't water issue, as she got daily 80% wc, temp 28C. I've try salt, metro, prazi ... not significant improvement.
    Is it a possible case of internal bacterial infection? or intestinal bacteria? Please give me some suggestion.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Long-term non-stop white poop

Though case Harry . Did you withstand the full +10 days metro treat ? Have you tried elevated temps . Epsom salt or any other method along with your metro treat ?
    If you tried Prazi for tapeworms , you might as well try the levamisole for roundworms too , just to be sure you have completed the full deworming treatment .

Per Filip of Macedonia I'd try the Metro with temp. to 90-92 f (32 - 33 c.) this usually makes the treatment more effective.

Hi guy, I've tried all of that, temp to 35c, metro for 10 days with epsom long bath. I have not tried levamisole, not too sure if I can even get it here in AUstralia. Ordered Kanaplex from US, took 4 weeks lol, but i'm not going to use that yet ...
    poor fish, hope he can take all of these crap

Real Name
    Matt

Feeding freeze dried black worms by any chance? If you are, give them a break from it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    Hi All,

My 5" red melon has been in the hospital tank for over a month. She still eating but not much, also not active at all.
    Colour still very nice and does not have peppering, holes, fin problem etc. Only that she keep showing white poop for the whole time.
    I know it isn't water issue, as she got daily 80% wc, temp 28C. I've try salt, metro, prazi ... not significant improvement.
    Is it a possible case of internal bacterial infection? or intestinal bacteria? Please give me some suggestion.

Harry,
    could use some pics of the fish in question.

thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi guy, I've tried all of that, temp to 35c, metro for 10 days with epsom long bath. I have not tried levamisole, not too sure if I can even get it here in AUstralia. Ordered Kanaplex from US, took 4 weeks lol, but i'm not going to use that yet ...
    Sorry for your troubles mate. Kanplex is the brand name for Seachem's Kanamycin Sulfate which I use but it's mostly for internal infections and I've normally used it in cases when my fish have stopped eating and often in conjunction with metro and heat. It's diluted some by Seachem so doubling the dose is probably a good idea, (info. I got on this forum), though I'm not sure if this med is applicable here.

Your right about our "poor fish". We often put them through some very stressful wringers trying to care for them and get them well again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    Feeding freeze dried black worms by any chance? If you are, give them a break from it for a while.
    Black worms is a part of her diet, at the moment she only eat some blackworms plus some algae waffle. I will try that and see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Harry,

thanks,
    al
    Sure Al, will post it tmr when natural light is good. Her colour is bright and good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Sorry for your troubles mate. Kanplex is the brand name for Seachem's Kanamycin Sulfate which I use but it's mostly for internal infections and I've normally used it in cases when my fish have stopped eating and often in conjunction with metro and heat. It's diluted some by Seachem so doubling the dose is probably a good idea, (info. I got on this forum), though I'm not sure if this med is applicable here.

Your right about our "poor fish". We often put them through some very stressful wringers trying to care for them and get them well again.
    Man, I never consider getting these fish better a trouble, the moment we decide to choose discus as a hobby, you are pretty much signed up for it.
    Furthermore, all of the fish with problem I have asked here so far are rescued discus where owner do not want them anymore and throw away for cheap price without even trying to help them. I think it is a great way to learn more about discus trouble shooting this way and that why I'm running 3 freaking hospital tanks right now lol. The Mrs said I'm nut

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

you can get levamisole in Melbourne , it comes under the name of SYKES BIG .L and the address is
    27 healey road dandenong vic 3175 ,you can get the phone from telstra ,i can't remember the price but it was about 20 box for 500 ml which is very reasonable having said that i have no idea if it helps you with your fish but it is the drug of choice if your discus got round worm .
    HTH

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Sorry Harry the name is SYKES VET INTERNATIONAL PTY . LTD

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Harry,

thanks,
    al
    Here is her photo

IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg

Further question to ask, these 2 photo below is the red SS, she turn fairly dark from bright and shine red, so skinny consider she fed well, body almost like razor edge. Does it look like internal worms? She also has white poop, not as much as the melon though. These two has stayed in this hospital for about a month and it is up and down.
    IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Sorry Harry the name is SYKES VET INTERNATIONAL PTY . LTD
    Thanks man, I found it on ebay for $25+ post. Let's meet sometime if we have chance

Hello, anyone home?

Real Name
    Filip

Harry, about your SS "eating well but getting thinner" along with its suspicious poop sounds like worms to me , so it wouldn't hurt (much ) if you try the levamisole bath.
    If that does not improve their condition I got nothing else to offer or to shoot for except for deeper internal bacterial issues , given that you have already tried , metro , Prazi , salts , temperature and given that you maintain your water at optimal conditions .

Hi Harry,

Have you considered the possibility that your discus is not sick but simply changing in color.
    I have a Red Fuji that to over time developed a single spot on the gill plate and several light spots on the fins. Looking closely at the spots, they are actually a very light blue color.

Are your spots symmetrical on both sides of her face? Mine has the same spot on both sides.

Red Fuji.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast