ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: API Rootab Unburied

Registered Member

Default API Rootab Unburied

I just added a med into my tank and saw a dark blue chunk im guessing from malachite green coming from the sand. I went to mix it a little and moved the sand and a big cloud of the dark blue came out from under the sand I'm guessing it was my API root tab reacting with the med. I've had this happen before with a root tab being unburied but it was during a water change/ vaccum so I just sucked up the water it mixed with. Is there a danger with unburying a root tab? I'm afraid of a nitrate spike but I can't test as my water is currently dyed. I would rather avoid a water change for the next three days cause the med is expensive. However if necessary I obviously would. As of now fish seem fine.

Default Re: API Rootab Unburied

Your API root tab wasn't reacting to the med, it was simply falling apart into 'dust' particles when you disturbed it by prodding the sand. Don't worry about it - it'll be taken up quickly with your filtration and shouldn't cause any problem for your fish.
    Perhaps you need to bury the root tabs a little deeper next time.

Registered Member

It's just weird that it turned such a dark blue as if it was attaching to it. It wasn't just a white cloud...

Real Name
    Jacklyn

ive seen my API root tabs come unburied, they are never dark blue, always a greyish white. I am suspecting the malachite stained it as it stains most everything in the tank when medicating (airline tubing, suction cups etc) I do not think you will have an issue though just to leave it in there.
    ~JACKLYN~