AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick discus

Registered Member

Default Sick discus

Default Disease Questionnaire - please complete

Please complete this questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them

Gone very dark, white bits all over them,laying on their side almost,bunched together,fins not up and not eating we noticed this yesterday . One has since died

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Clamped fins, white tips off fin and body,some cloudy eyes,white spots

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Aquarium salt then after water change chloramine-t

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

6ft tank 10 discus ,bout 20 - 30 tetras and 4 cat fish 1 clown loach
    5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    25% twice weekly and fifty percent once every week or two

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    It's got play sand thouroly cleaned and planted the sand is 2 to 3 inch deep

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

There is peat in the filter
    8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp ____29_c_

- ph ____6.0_

- ammonia reading ____0.6

- nitrite reading ___1.2_

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___tap_

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Plants

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Muscle mix one a day

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-28-2017 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added food question

I do not know how to add pictures
    Last edited by jmf3460; 05-10-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: remove duplicated text

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Sick discus

Tracy good job the thread is open now. Let me read through it and I will get some others to help also. good job
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Tracy what is Chloramine-T, I googled it and it says it releases chlorine into the water!!!!!!!!!! is this true???? you are adding chlorine to your water??????
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Tracy I am also seeing you have ammonia and nitrite but no nitrate, is your tank cycled, have you done anything that would have killed all your beneficial bacteria lately and caused a mini cycle
    ~JACKLYN~

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tracy, try and respond here vs to the webmaster email. Best to keep all the information together. Here's is your picture of Chloramine-T.

IMG_4851.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Pat

Here's your discus pictures

IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4853.jpg

Registered Member

Not sure what you mean

Registered Member

No I don't think so

Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean pat

Are you using any water conditioner after water change ?

How long have you been using this chloramine-t product?

Just reading on Google it can release chlorine? It also says filter should be bypassed when used? By your water readings it would seem it wiped out your bio filter. Is there a reason you are using this product? It also claims toxicity is increased in soft acidic water which would seem is what you have....

Your fish may be suffering from ammonia nitrite and chlorine poisoning....

I would say loits of large water changes to start and be sure you are using a water conditioner
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy.jane68.tj View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean pat
    Hi Tracy, you are sending stuff to the webmaster@simplydiscus.com email. I am on the other side of that email. I guess you are only emailing pictures.
    Pat

Registered Member

You only use it once a blue moon. And no we don't use a water conditioner as the last three years have been well with our discus

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Tracy,

stop using the chloramine t. I think it is has killed all of your beneficial bacteria thus voiding your cycle. Your fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning and nitrite poisoning, as well as possible chlorine poisoning from the medication. they are likely suffering bacterial infections as secondary infections due to the loss of their slime coat.

You need to do large 90% water changes daily, as well as you could add some water conditioner that will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite until your cycle re-establishes. you need to act immediately Tracy if you want to keep the fish that you haven't lost yet.

the best advice I can give you is to trash the chloramine-t, I cant imagine anyone reasoning the deliberate addition of chlorine as a medication....to be blunt and hopefully not too harsh, what were you thinking?
    Last edited by jmf3460; 05-10-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy.jane68.tj View Post
    You only use it once a blue moon. And no we don't use a water conditioner as the last three years have been well with our discus
    Tracy, based on this statement it seems you have had discus for a while. Based on your measurements in the first post you have measurable ammonia and nitrites. This is bad and I believe the cause of your problem. I would suggest a couple large water changes and see if you maintain measurable ammonia and nitrites. If you do then it seems you have a mini-cycle.
    Pat

Registered Member

The chloramine is used once a blue moon and only two grains it kills parasites and harmful bacteria but does not harm any fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast