ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Green Tefe Spawn #1

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Wild Green Tefe Spawn #1

Well I had an eventful weekend. My wild green tefe discus spawned for the first time. It went relatively well I think. The eggs were eaten a little over a day into the spawn so I do not know for sure if they were fertile or not, but they did look it.
    The timeline: Saturday morning I left about 7am for a yard sale my cousins and I were having, I had fed loose FDBW before leaving and noticed the two over in their corner hanging out, but when worms dropped in front of them they quickly forgot about being boyfriend/girlfriend. Saturday 1pm-2pm I come home from yard sale to spawning behavior and by 5pm I had eggs!!! By saturday night, mom and dad are still guarding the eggs very closely, dad put his nose almost touching eggs while mom chases off other fish really viciously. Saturday evening I did my normal 33% water change and tried really well not to disturb the pair, they are pretty used to my siphon tube so there was no aggression toward my tube or hand. I left the night lighting on overnight, eggs were still there Sunday morning when I went to church. Come home from church, mom is slacking off on her protecting while dad is still very vigilant. By sunday afternoon maybe 4pm they were gone. It was super fun to watch.
    now for the pictures
    first spawn eggs.jpg
    first spawn 1.jpgfirst spawn 2.jpg

~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Wild Green Tefe Spawn #1

please disregard the terrible photography, they spawned in a corner near the window. Its impossible to photograph during the day without getting a terrible glare coming through the blinds.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Very exciting! Now what? Move them? Or wait and see?

The colors are intense! What are those gashes, holes around the eye?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I think I will let the pair spawn a few more times in the show tank before moving them. Soon I will have my larger 110g show tank to replace this 75 gallon so I will have a spare 75gallon for breeding if it should come to that. The pits on the head are a mineral deficiency that I have recently kind of discovered with Al's help.
    ~JACKLYN~

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am so happy for you Jacklyn. With my wild pairs the third spawn was the magic spawn. I would not move them yet depending on whether you want to raise fry.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Bingo Pat, that is the giant question. I don't know whether I am ready, have the time, would be serious about raising fry. is it completely necessary to start a live bbs colony?

I would but there is some dry foods small enough to start with. Check with Al and Forrest.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-01-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Matt

Congrats! That is a beautiful green in the photos, the sheen looks unreal.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

That's awesome. Congratz!
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Care to explain more about the mineral diffincincy and what can be done ?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I am kind of learning about the mineral deficiency thing as I go. I have always been on the side of the carbon debate that supports carbon having no significant effect on discus, but then my adult wilds started forming pits along their head and lateral line. it would come and go but never really went away completely, nothing else changed in the fish just their appearance. I recently stopped using carbon and it has gotten better and better. I also think its odd that they spawned for the first time shortly after stopping the use of carbon. I will start dosing calcium chloride soon too, as soon as it shows up in the mail.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kirby

Congratulations Jacklyn!

The Greens are beauties. Congrats!
    Recently a study has been published that confirmed the link between using carbon and the lateral line errosion or as known HITH

Dosing Discus Trace or Diploral will help to replenish the missing minerals, specially if are using RO water, It is necessary to replenish these minerals.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    The Greens are beauties. Congrats!
    Recently a study has been published that confirmed the link between using carbon and the lateral line errosion or as known HITH

Dosing Discus Trace or Diploral will help to replenish the missing minerals, specially if are using RO water, It is necessary to replenish these minerals.
    Thanks and yes ive been doing a lot of research on the HITH correlation with the use of carbon lately, especially since my fish started showing signs. I actually have really great well water with tons of minerals, its such a shame ive been depleting it all these years with carbon filters, what a dumba** I feel like. Either way I am adjusting it now.
    ~JACKLYN~

Just to add to the conversation. Theres other causes for mineral deficiencies as well. Some that are often mentioned is a parasite infection as it can damage the gut lining, which is the site of alot of vitamin and mineral absorption. Another is when something else out competes the absorption or blocks it. This may be the case with something like sodium affecting calcium uptake. Another could be inflammation at the gills , possibly linked to high nitrates. Theres also the chance that Nitrates by themselves could cause those erosions by opening and inflamming the naturally found pits on the fishes face which then would open it to opportunistic infections. Unfortunately we don't all that much, and much is speculation. Personally I also think heavy metals may play a role in some cases.

In Jacklyns case, since she was a user of carbon, and has seen some improvement since stopping the carbon, it makes sense to explore the mineral difficiency line first and then work through it from there.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-02-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Yes and thank you Al for helping me discover it. I also want to point out that my fish have gone years with no symptoms, its only been recently (within the past 6 months) that I have noticed the pits. It started with one so I dosed metro which didn't really help, then the others started developing it also. Even with the pits they look great, ive posted plenty of pictures and no one has even noticed the pits. For a while I just thought my discus might just be getting old and naturally wearing away. Also even with the pits, they all greet me at the front of the tank, they all are super hungry and happy, and now they are even spawning. There is one I could cull by looks only, but he is still happy and otherwise super lively, he just looks bad from the pits. Then there are two that barely have any symptoms at all, just one or two tiny pits that could almost be mistaken for their sensory pits if I didn't know which ones those already were.

Calcium chloride is in the mail, ordered off amazon, as well as more non carbon filter pads. I have pretty much not changed anything over the last two years in my maintenance with these. daily 33% water changes, sometimes it is every other day, and twice they've gone a week without waterchanges during vacations. but otherwise nothing has changed. ive always used rooibos, always dosed prime or safe, always fed FDBW, blood worms and pellets, and this is the second summer I'm feeding live mosquito larvae their absolute favorite.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast