ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 150 gallon advice

Registered Member

Default 150 gallon advice

So I got the bug to update my tank from a 65 to a 150. I want the 48x24x31 size so it's a taller wider tank I don't have room for a long. Anyone have any advice on this size tank? I'm doing 50 percent water changes every other day in my 65 with a 32 gallon brute and ro water. Can I just keep this schedule or will nitrates eventually creep up cause it's a 150? How hard is it to clean these deep guys? My plan is a fluval fx6 cause my current eheim setup 2217 and 2211 are barely cutting it. I will also use the 2211 as a surface cleaner only...will this do the job?
    I will set it up very similar to my current tank (see pic) and will probably only be adding a bunch more rummys I always wanted a big dither school currently stocking 5 stentker turqs 4 German blue ram 2 corys and 6 rummyIMG_1443.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default Re: 150 gallon advice

I just ditched my 65 for a 90 gallon and my discus really appreciate a 4ft tank. Sounds like you have everything figured out already. Are you aging your water?

Real Name
    Eric

If you increase the bioload (added rummys, more sand surface area), you will need to up the water change amount, but probably not by too much. If you add more discus then you will definitely need to increase. Is it possible to get a larger aging tank? Or better yet, do the 32 gallon change daily instead of every other day. Keep an eye on the nitrates.

Registered Member

my water ages one day and then I water change and refill the aging tank. I guess I can up the size of my ageing tank should I shoot for 50% in size? Or can I just up to about the 55 gallon trash can size. 75 gallons of ro every other day gives me anxiety to think about�� My wife is already asking me what I'm doing to add 20 bucks a month to our water bill. Ro is my only option due to high nitrates so don't really want to mix or use tap. Can anyone suggest a nice size water tank with a smaller footprint? Actually....I guess I can use my 65 gallon as my ro tank right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhoussock View Post
    my water ages one day and then I water change and refill the aging tank. I guess I can up the size of my ageing tank should I shoot for 50% in size? Or can I just up to about the 55 gallon trash can size. 75 gallons of ro every other day gives me anxiety to think about�� My wife is already asking me what I'm doing to add 20 bucks a month to our water bill. Ro is my only option due to high nitrates so don't really want to mix or use tap. Can anyone suggest a nice size water tank with a smaller footprint? Actually....I guess I can use my 65 gallon as my ro tank right?
    You can use the brute trash cans. Also you can find poly barrels on Craigslist for dirt cheap. Also Amazon has rain water barrels that look like wine barrels if that are like a half round shape
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Any suggestions on lighting. Currently have two 34" 39watt high output t5 bulbs on a low tech planted tank. Will these work in the 30" tall tank if not what do you suggest?