ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: sand cleaners in a new setup tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martin Welters

Default sand cleaners in a new setup tank

I am going to put my grown discus in my other tank. That tank is about 300 liters (76 G), 2 filters with a turnover over 10 times the tank, I am thinking of placing some sponges over the inlets so no beef or other heavy food can get into the filter and rot. The tank will get some wood, stones, plants and sand. I still have Cardinals, which also will be placed in the tank.

Now here is the question, which Corries or other type of fish would be best to keep the sand clean and is it a good or bad idea to place sponges over the inlets?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: sand cleaners in a new setup tank

Six Sterbai Cories will do the job and an excellent idea to place sponges over inlets,They will require squeezing out every week to ten days
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martin Welters

Thanks Akili, I was thinking that 2 filters might be overdoing it, as this was for my high tech planted tank, this next scape will be low tech..... what are your thoughts about that?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Hay Martin,

How many discus in the new tank...?

Never too much filters, if you have them use them. If they are efficient and not a pain to maintain then I see no reason not to add them.

Mr. Naz already gave you some great advice, many like sterabi and they do well w discus and the temps, I love emerald corries myself because of their look and have a nice group in my tank that are huge fat and great scavengers.

I would totally cover the inlets or add any pre-filters you possibly can, it really helps with the maintenance.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martin Welters

There will only be 5-6 discus, about 30-40 cardinals in the tank. I want to go for sponges to cover the inlet, because it should be very easy to keep clean, even on a daily base.
    I was/am a bit scared that the flow would be to strong for Discus, as they don't seem to like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in China View Post
    There will only be 5-6 discus, about 30-40 cardinals in the tank. I want to go for sponges to cover the inlet, because it should be very easy to keep clean, even on a daily base.
    I was/am a bit scared that the flow would be to strong for Discus, as they don't seem to like that.
    Why type of filters are They? Canister?

You can always point the returns up or towards the glass and that will cut down current in the tank but you will still have the same turnover
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martin Welters

Yep, canister filters. Pointing the outlets to the front glass did cross my mind too.