AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fin rot fungal or bacterial?

Registered Member

Default Fin rot fungal or bacterial?

Sin título.jpg

Any ideas on how to help cure its fins?
    Had this discus in planted tank, but i coudn't keep it clean enough and it got sick. So i changed it to a 300L bare bottom with 100L sump. It had severe fin rot but now it has started to grow back. In some spots there like a white blurry patches and it is where the growth is slower.
    water: 29-30ºC / ph: 6.5-6.9 / under 4ºd GH / 6ºd KH / 5mg/l NO3 / 0mg/l N02 / cl2=0
    I am doing 20% wc daily and 50% 1 day every week.

there are 5 discus in the tank, 2 bristlenose pleckos(1male 1female), and 10 red nose tetras.

all the other discus are fine.(I think).
    Sin título1.jpg
    Sin título2.jpg
    Sin título4.jpg
    Sin título3.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Fin rot fungal or bacterial?

OP I think his fins will heal on their own over time. The one thing I do suggest to do is to increase your water change percentage to 50% daily. I do notice something under his belly on the bottom side of his body where his fin begins, can you take a close up picture of this area?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Do you mean the color of it or the shape? In that area it has lighter color and the shape of his belly is diferent from the others i think it is genetic.
    Sin título5.jpg

Also isnt 50% daily too much stress for the fish? My tap water is at 6.8 ph, and it is really soft 0 GH and almost 0 KH but there is a ton of clorine and cloramines.
    Can a overkill sump reduce the need of daily big water changes?
    Last edited by Pabloski911; 05-19-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: (coudn't finist it on my phone XD).

That doesn't look like active Fin rot, and alot may grow back... You can help it along if it doesn't by trimming the scar tissue.... see here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...eckel-Hair-Cut!!!!

try to keep the water as clean as possible. Increasing the size of your sump isn't really a fix for water changes. If you treat for the chlorine and Chloramine , large water changes should not be an issue.. its more a question of how much dissolved gases are in the water. If the fish get stressed you may have to age and aerate the water first.

Honest observation, your fish had a rough start from the way they were kept initially, and its good you recognized that there were water quality issues. ....If you really work at their water and nutrition though you raise out a few of these well... The one with the fin rot is going to be your ugly duckling...it just may not turn into that swan.

hth,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images