AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Maybe I'm to picky ...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Brittney

Default Maybe I'm to picky ...

Hi all I am new to the discus world. As so I want to make my experience as easy and as fun as possible. With that said, my biggest problem so far seems to be finding the color/patterns that I like all at one place or in one size even. I would prefer smaller ones, I like getting my fish a bit younger so as they grow, I feel I see more of there personality and am more attached to them somehow. I was wanting to get them from a good place( I've seen a lot about Kenny's or Han's) but from what I've seen they seem to have mostly bigger fish or and limited selection of smaller ones. And some of the colors I want are not there. I guess what I'm wondering is, does anyone know somewhere that has a larger array of colors in one place up to about 3.5in. Thanks so much.

p.s. sorry if I rambled a bit

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Maybe I'm to picky ...

There are a ton of sponsors here that offer many sizes and varieties. You should go through each and see what they have, if you are fond of an importer, e-mail them direct and lay out what you want. Maybe they can take care of you...

Also, often, local hobbyist are selling fry, or even someone across the country willing to ship. Check the local for sale ads as well as here and see if someone catches your eye.

Welcome to Simply, Brittney

Generally, the best advice that can be given to newcomers to discus-keeping is to avoid getting small, young discus whose immune systems are not yet well developed.
    They can be difficult to grow out properly and in good health unless they're kept under pristine conditions, due to the likelihood they can be prone to a wide variety of health issues if your grow out routine is neglected in any way.

To be successful keeping discus, you should seriously consider getting fish of at least 3.5", preferably larger, or if you must get smaller fish for financial reasons, then keep them only in a well-cleansed bare-bottom tank, and provide large daily fresh water changes until they grow out to 3.5" or larger.

Best of luck to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darshan

I am no expert but you might not get good color and pattern when they are younger. They tend to color up as the they grow. So I suggest don't just look for pattern or colors for your selection.

Hi Brittney,
    I think its great you are trying to get a bunch all at once from one seller.Best way to get started imo.

Can you tell us a bit more though about your tank, tank mates, and which strains you are considering?
    -Al
    Ps..
    Welcome to SimplyDiscus!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images