ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Max out on discus or Have discus + different species tank mates?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Natalia Ramos

Lightbulb Max out on discus or Have discus + different species tank mates?

Hello all, I have :

125 gallon 6ft long tank
    fluval fx 6
    temp: 82F
    sand substrate, lightly planted.
    Water change: 75% twice a week (or 90% twice a week, it depends on the time I have)
    stock: 10 discus (2 of them are smaller than the adults) and 1 black skirt tetra.

I've been told that I could fit 13 total discus in a tank that size.
    My question is: Can I fit a total of 13 discus AND a few extra tank mates (like german rams)
    Or would it be better to have Discus only?

Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Max out on discus or Have discus + different species tank mates?

Any pictures?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

i prefer tank mates with my discus in my show tank. I have a school of dicrossus filamentosus that really do well with the discus, and ofcourse I have a large group of corydoras. other than the dicrossus I have kept bolivian rams, laetacara dorsigera, and ancistrus with my discus. I also have a group of cleithracara maroni that I will be adding with my discus when I upgrade mine to a 110 gallon tank in the future.

there are a lot of really interesting dwarf sa cichlids that people keep with discus. lots of people on here just do discus + corydoras.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Natalie - I'm in the same boat trying to decide on stocking for my 110, but I'm definitely leaning towards getting some dwarf cichlids. It's personal preference, but I think it adds more dimension and visual interest to have other fish in there. If I were you I'd stick with the 10 you have and fill out the tank with something else. Better not to max out the stocking right from the start.

Jacklyn - I'm considering picking up a group of dicrossus myself, and I'm wondering about your thoughts on decor. My tank is very open, with just a small center island of driftwood and some sword plants and then lots of open sand. Would that be enough cover to keep them happy, or do they really need a more complex environment? Every breed specific guide I'm reading says they need lots of leaves, pots, roots, etc., but it also sounds like they are more docile than apistos or rams. Thoughts? Here's the tank they would be going in: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...110gal-Rimless