ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus bent tail! Help!

Default Discus bent tail! Help!

Hi i just recently bought these solid red discus from chicago discus and 1 of the 2 discus tail/spine is bent! Any one know if the discus can recover? Any suggestion what to do? The pictures on there website didnt show that the tail was bent.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Discus bent tail! Help!

Can you post some pictures? Did you contact them? They are great folks and I am sure will try and help you. Did you just get them? Could have been damaged during shipping which no one can predict or help other than the crazy delivery folks!

Pic is up, yea just recently received them. I'm not the type to complain, I do know they do have a good reputation, just wanted to here yall opinion first.

Real Name
    Phil

Is the bent one on the right? Is its tail always bent to the side like that ? Is that what you mean?

Real Name
    Mike

Best option is to contract seller and send pics. I'm sure they will take care of it.

Nope the bent one is the one on the left.. the one with a bump near its tail. one side is sinking in (picture) and on the other side is sticking out (not pictured). Tail is not align with spine on a top view.

yea just sent them an email. waiting on their response. ugh sucks, this is the good looking one too.

Just received an email from them stating that I should wait it out and the fish will recover. Is this possible? Can the fish recover? Please helpppp.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

That looks like spinal curvature to me. There is no harm in "waiting it out", and after you do this if the curvature is still there they should refund your money, discount the next order or replace the discus etc. I received a discus with a curved spine (which I paid a good price for) and I emailed the seller and was given a discount on my next purchase. The seller explained they hadn't noticed the defect. I found that hard to believe because it was so apparent to me, but when u r netting a couple fish out of a crowded tank perhaps things like this could be missed. My fish was healthy and happy, with no other apparent health issues... he just had a crooked head for his whole life. This is one drawback of ordering online and not getting to inspect the fish ahead of time, unfortunately.

Edit ** Just wanted to add that if the pictures online showed the same fish without a bent tail perhaps it will recover. But depending on the angle it might be hard to tell... with my discus, u could only tell it's head was bent if u looked directly at it from the front, from a side view it looked normal.
    Last edited by Kyla; 11-02-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

How long is "wait it out"?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Got one with a similar issue, but as one of a dozen decent fish I got for a pittance I am happy to wait and see

I honestly dont know how long I should be waiting for. They just told me to wait it out and he will recover. I mean the fish seems to be very active/aggressive towards the other one today. The tail still bent/crooked. The original post/picture that was on the site of him doesn't seem... this is the original post https://chicagodiscus.com/product/5-0-solid-red/
    Thanks for all the replies.
    What do you guys suggest I do next or how long should I wait until I contact them again?

You will be waiting it's whole life. Scoliosis it is called.

Real Name
    Mike

I would request that they make it right now. I would not spend the kind of money that discus demand to have one with a deformity. JMO. I couldn't sit and stare at my beautiful discus tank with an eyesore. Just me....Contact the seller and express your displeasure and request refund or replacement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast