AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: It's coming out !!

Real Name
    Jim

Default It's coming out !!

First off - HELLO everyone! Hope 2017 is turning out to be better than 2016 was for you

After all these years, I'm in process of removing the Under Gravel Filter from my 180 gal Discus tank. Though it's served me well, I thought it was time for a change, so, a month or so ago I added an Eheim Pro 4+ 600 to the tank (which is addition to my Eheim wet/dry canister) and started slowly removing the bio media from the UGF filter plates. Prior removal, I capped 3 of the 4 lift tubes and used my siphon to suck whatever lay out of sight up and out of the tank. To date I have two of the three plates removed with the third slated for later today or tomorrow. Wasn't much detritus under the plates but there was "tufts" of white "clouds" which I'm thinking were bacterial colonies. Now, I have to figure out what décor I want to pursue although it's likely it will stay similar to what it was but without the UGF.

Fish are doing great, some of the little ones I bought from Chicago Discus are now 8 inch monsters, with Mr. Hyde (the Heckle cross) and Stripes (the vertical striped Blue Tiger) among the largest.

Once I get the last plate out and clean out all the remaining media off the bottom, I'll put up some pics.

Hope you are all well!
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: It's coming out !!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Jim. Man, under gravel filters, didn't know anyone with discus still had those babies.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Me too Jim.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jim

My UGF was a high tech version that used Eheim sintered glass bio media for substrate and a 26 liter/min linear piston air pump. Did a great job but cleaning every night was just too much of a hassle. Have all but a small amount of substrate to get out then I have to swap out the air pump and put the piston driven one for use with the storage tanks in the basement. Will only be runnng a few airstones so can downsize the air pump for the tank. Fish have stayed remarkably calm during the whole thing... thank god.. lol Pics shold be forthcoming in a week or so
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...