ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sump/plumbing tips and tricks compilation

Default Sump/plumbing tips and tricks compilation

Might be nice if we could compile a list of tips and tricks for sumps and plumbing.
    I'm thinking anything from what glue for pipes to baffle installation. I've done a few of these and I learn something new everytime!

I'll start:

1. Ace Hardware offers 2x, 3x and 4x strength glass. Costs more but might save a heartbreak...ask me how I know!

2. When you install a union one side has a rubber gasket. Install the union with the gasket side down so when you take it apart the ring wont fall out and you can see it in place when reinstalling.

3. Green label Oatey glue is extra strength. Red label is regular strength. Either one will work.

4. Acrylic is much easier to work with than glass, but it is difficult to get and keep a good seal between acrylic and glass.

5. Flexible PVC or SpaFlex is great stuff and fits all standard PVC fittings.

6. Schedule 40 and 80 are different OD diameters. Especially with bulkheads, be sure to cut the correct size based on schedule 40 or 80.

7. The bulkhead gasket goes on the wet side. Sometimes adding another gasket on the dry side can help.

8. Over tightening a bulkhead will sometimes cause a bigger leak than hand tightening.
    Last edited by Neptune; 05-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Sump/plumbing tips and tricks compilation

Let silicone cure for 7 days, ignore the directions on the back that say 24 hours.

Plan your sump so it can be easily cleaned. Make access to all compartments easy.

9. You can't have enough unions! Not only do they make disassembly easy for cleaning, You can spin the pipe so bends go where you want them.

10. Gate valves will give much finer control VS. ball valves. Cheap ball valves can get sticky and be hard to operate over time.

11. If doing a BEAN animal use a gate valve on the full siphoned-they need precise adjustment for optimal flow. A second gate valve on the secondary siphon is optional and the emergency doesn't need one.

12. A heat gun is cheap and can be indispensable in putting small bends in pipe when a 45 or 90 won't do. They can also be used to heat vinyl tubing to fit over pipes, etc. You can even go so far as to heat PVC pipe and fit over other pieces to make your own fittings. Joey, the DIY guy has a nice video on youtube about it.
    Last edited by Neptune; 05-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Plan your sump for ALL emergency situations! Be sure it can hold the water that continues to flow until the level is reached to stop flow or siphon break.

Are you talking about the green label as in the transition glue? Is the glue green? If so that is pvc to abs transition glue
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Are you talking about the green label as in the transition glue? Is the glue green? If so that is pvc to abs transition glue
    Talking about OATEY PVC glue and the LABELS...the green LABEL glue is actually clear, but description says extra strength. The red LABEL glue is actually a milky yellow color.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Talking about OATEY PVC glue and the LABELS...the green LABEL glue is actually clear, but description says extra strength. The red LABEL glue is actually a milky yellow color.
    Ah gotcha I prefer to use christys red hot but I think for doing plumbing indoor a low voc glue is a good choice so you don't pass out lol
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Ah gotcha I prefer to use christys red hot but I think for doing plumbing indoor a low voc glue is a good choice so you don't pass out lol
    The OATEY stuff will make you stupid in a hurry as well! See tip #1!

1/8" standard plate glass is NOT strong enough for sump baffles in a 40 gallon or larger sump! It will bow and break as soon as there is a water level difference between the two plates.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Minimize baffles as much as possible.

Utilize horizontal flow instead of vertical to accomplish your filtration needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Minimize baffles as much as possible.

Utilize horizontal flow instead of vertical to accomplish your filtration needs.
    just curious. why horizontal vs vertical? Larger area for filtering?

Registered Member

Two things to add: 1) a check valve on the return pipe offers extra insurance against flooding, and 2) don't use anything over 45* bends on your return line if you aren't using flex pipe.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    just curious. why horizontal vs vertical? Larger area for filtering?
    It means you don't have to use as many baffles to re-direct the flow. Really useful if you are using poret foam pads.