AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Preparing to show a Discus.

Registered Member

Default Preparing to show a Discus.

Hi Guys,

I have a nice group of 19 x 3" Altum Flora's what are coming on a treat, I have been doing 70% WC daily and feeding them 4 to 5 times a day on my homemade beef heart, my question is that out of the group there are around 4 to 5 that are excelling and are far bigger and fatter than the others, I am looking to show at least one of them at the British show (I'm in England) in October, would you separate these 5 discus from the group and put them in a smaller tank and continue to feed 5 times a day? this way I reckon they will get more BH as there are less to scramble with for the food?

I also heard about people 'Preparing" their fish for a show by isolating it about a month before a show so as it gets used to being alone and will not discolour on the day of the show, thoughts and tips would be very welcome,

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Preparing to show a Discus.

I show my discus at regional fish shows in the US and here's what I do.

1. I don't isolate my fish, although I know many people do. I find fish that get daily water changes don't get spooked at shows.
    2. I use a plastic colander to move the fish from the tank into a bucket for transportation. In the US, we can get 5-gallon plastic buckets from Home Depot for $4, including lid.
    3. I stop feeding my discus 48 hours before moving them so they don't poop in the show tank. A hungry fish is also more lively.
    4. I use pure R/O water to transport my fish to avoid any fin burn from accumulated ammonia. If possible, I bring extra R/O for the show tank.
    5. I keep extra sponge filters cycled in my grow out tank. This will immediately cycle your show tank.
    6. Make sure there's a heater and a light available at the show. If the show doesn't supply them, plan to bring your own.
    7. I always have a tight fitting top for my show tanks. There's going to be splashing from adjacent tanks, so have a quarantine tank ready when you come back.
    8. I like keeping show discus in 10-gal tanks. It may be a little cramped (I have 7"+ fish), but the discus really look huge!

People who do well at shows usually did some preparation beforehand. It's a ton of fun, so enjoy!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thanks for your help advice Willie, I keep them in R/O at the moment while they are growing, the show I'm entering is my first and I'm sure it will be fun, I remember them having lights and heater at the show last year but not sure about sponge filters, I too keep spare ones in my sump fully cycled!

Can I ask, your 7+ fish that you show, have you had them since small and grown them, if so what special treatment did you give them i.e., Food, water parameters?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I show my discus at regional fish shows in the US and here's what I do.

1. I don't isolate my fish, although I know many people do. I find fish that get daily water changes don't get spooked at shows.
    2. I use a plastic colander to move the fish from the tank into a bucket for transportation. In the US, we can get 5-gallon plastic buckets from Home Depot for $4, including lid.
    3. I stop feeding my discus 48 hours before moving them so they don't poop in the show tank. A hungry fish is also more lively.
    4. I use pure R/O water to transport my fish to avoid any fin burn from accumulated ammonia. If possible, I bring extra R/O for the show tank.
    5. I keep extra sponge filters cycled in my grow out tank. This will immediately cycle your show tank.
    6. Make sure there's a heater and a light available at the show. If the show doesn't supply them, plan to bring your own.
    7. I always have a tight fitting top for my show tanks. There's going to be splashing from adjacent tanks, so have a quarantine tank ready when you come back.
    8. I like keeping show discus in 10-gal tanks. It may be a little cramped (I have 7"+ fish), but the discus really look huge!

People who do well at shows usually did some preparation beforehand. It's a ton of fun, so enjoy!

Willie

Registered Member

Here they are

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-21-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Embedded vid

Real Name
    Willie

I keep my discus in my fish room, so there's no need for decorations. They get a 100% W/C every morning - that's pretty much all there is to it.

You got some nice fish in the grow out tank. Do your water changes, keep the tank clean and I can guarantee you'll get a few 7" specimen out of that tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Filip

Very interesting thread started by OP.
    Thanks for the thorough and informative answer Willy .
    I hope other experienced members will share their experiences and procedures in preparing their fish for a show too .