AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am i ready to take the plunge?

Default Re: Am i ready to take the plunge?

You figured it out! I quit commenting because your readings were over my head. Congratulations to you and congratulations to the smart people on simply who figured it out.

It might be a good idea to add some of the rock or some crushed coral to your aging barrel, but I don't know for sure because I've never had water like yours. Luckily, you're in good hands here on Simply.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStephens View Post
    Just tested the rocks... one type fizzled like crazy!! I guess that gives us the answer. LPS said it was PH neutral, hahah.

Chicago discus water PH is a 7.2... so what if I put a couple of the same rock in the aged water barrel to bring it closer to the same PH reading?
    The safest bet IMHO would be to ditch those rock , or replace them with driftwood or other pH neutral rocks .
    That way you will have complete control and stability over your PH .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

The reasoning behind leaving the rock in place is because the discus I'm getting are coming from the higher PH range. And wouldn't putting the same rock in my aged water barrel keep the PH where my tank PH is?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

I've talked with the people at Chicago Discus and they recommended the same, take out the rock. So they are coming out of the tank. It's just irritating when you buy something based upon a recommendation of the store employees and they are wrong.
    I will be testing my water after they are out and hopefully I get some matching readings.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStephens View Post
    I've talked with the people at Chicago Discus and they recommended the same, take out the rock. So they are coming out of the tank. It's just irritating when you buy something based upon a recommendation of the store employees and they are wrong.
    I will be testing my water after they are out and hopefully I get some matching readings.
    Unfortunate lesson but lesson learned. LFS experts are not always "experts" fortunately you learned before you got the fish so no harm done
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

Yes indeed. My tank finally has its first reading, .25 ammonia.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234