AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Seachem Flourish Tabs in Potted Plants

Default Seachem Flourish Tabs in Potted Plants

Hello everyone!

I snagged some cultured plants, stuck them in some pots with gravel and plastic mesh on the bottom to keep the gravel in so I could easily clean around them. I stuck a flouish tab in each pot right below the root ball. I noticed two things today, one was that if I lift the pot out of the water so that water drains out, the tabs runoff (blackish water) is quite noticeable, no big deal since I dont plan on lifting them out but I am being hyper paranoid that the tabs may affect he water and the fish negatively. I am raising up juvies so really dont want to do anything to harm them. Everyone seems to be behaving normally, one is hiding more than normal but his fins are out and he is eating so could just be a coincidence.

I trust Seachem, but want to make sure I am OK to use these in a pot since the water circulation through the tab will be much greater than if it were under substrate.

Any Thoughts?

Threads and replies like these are not helping my paranoia: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=flourish+tab

Pic for reference and because its pretty IMO

plants.jpg

Default Re: Seachem Flourish Tabs in Potted Plants

I did the same thing you did. Was very proud of myself for having a bare bottom tank with plenty of water changes. My potted plants were growing like weeds and I did not observe any side effects from the tabs. But then again, I had mine planted in ordinary water glasses (no holes at the bottom). I would lift them up gently, just enough to syphon any dirt around the glasses. Once a week I would lift them out of the tank and wash the gravel a bit to remove whatever had accumulated on the top (1" deep). On one occasion I emptied one of the glasses completely into a bucket and I was very surprised by the amount of debries that were in it. I loved my plants but I knew that they had to go, for my peace of mind. After all that wc and syphoning, I just couldn't bear the thought that I have pots filled with dirt :-). I, like you have 3-4" juveniles that I want to grow to their highest potential. So, in my mind using the seachem tabs with potted plants is your best solution, if you have plants.

Hope this helps. Your tank looks super clean!

JC

Real Name
    Jacklyn

the root tabs falling out will not harm your fish or your water quality. no need to worry with them. Like JanDiscus, I pot my plants in glass jars without a hole but plenty of people use the terracotta pots like you have. No need to worry at all.
    ~JACKLYN~

Thank you both for the quick replies - I kinda figured I was being overly paranoid - I mean the tabs are supposed to be safe just was worried that they would leech into the water faster than intended with a higher flow rate around them given the open, small pots.

Is there a reason you both went with jars/things without holes in the bottom?

I was worried about accumulation of crud in them as well, I have now moved them to the opposite side of the tank that I drop food into to keep them from most of the crud lol. I plan to take them out probably once a week on the weekend, maybe every two weeks...to clean the rock out, we will see.

And thank you Jan, I try

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I only went with glass jars in the beginning because its what I had laying around. Once I noticed I like how I can see the roots growing through the clear glass I intentionally used glass all other times.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I only went with glass jars in the beginning because its what I had laying around. Once I noticed I like how I can see the roots growing through the clear glass I intentionally used glass all other times.
    Ah! good point! What substrate do you use in the jar?

+1 same for me. I had these whiskey glasses that I never use. And I as well enjoyed seeing the root system growing.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

mason pint and half pint jars look cool. I use eco complete as my substrate Bizarro, topped with sand
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Filip

Here is what I use :

IMG_20170305_000008.jpg

And here is how it looks , camouflaged with a pieces of driftwood:

IMG_20170408_014815.jpg

A transparent PVC picnic glasses sold in supermarkets . I got them out side the water on ocasions to clean them well or dip them in H2O2 to kill algae .
    You dont need holes on the bottom and you can get away with a lot smaller and less visible pots than the ones you currently use for a better aesthetics.
    You can use potting soil , Root tabs ,clay , gravel or sand inside the pot .

BTW . I love your Van Gogh background ,
    and your tank does look as clean as if you forgot to put water in it . Congrats for this 2 things alone .
    Last edited by Filip; 05-26-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks Filip - you have quite the beautiful tank yourself