AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cheap Staple Food, No Dyes

Real Name
    Eric

Default Cheap Staple Food, No Dyes

Hello everyone.

I currently use Tetra Color Bits as one of my three staples (the other two being FDBW and San Fran Beefheart). The thing I like most about the Tetra color bits is they are incredibly cheap; a liter for $10. This lasts six months and makes up a third of their diet. It makes for a much cheaper overall cost, and my discus are still adding bulk.

All that said, I would like to move away from dyes and color enhancers, and the tetra bits are loaded with them. Is there any alternative at around that same price point that you guys have had success with?

If I cease feeding food with color enhancers / dyes, will they discus that have colored up eventually revert to their natural color? I have a white platinum and a silver PB that are quite orange. They are beautiful, but I would love to see less orange.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Cheap Staple Food, No Dyes

Hi Eric,
    I don't know about reverting to previous color, I've avoided enhancers for my Snow Whites. I use Al's discus chow along with the plain FDBW. They're not as pure white as they used to be, but pretty close.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

I'm bumping this thread because I would also love to get an answer. I just pulled up Al's FDBW and no offense but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price. I'm trying to work in some more healthy variety and get away from dyes, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much compared to $13 for 300g of Color Bits.
    Last edited by Demosthenes; 07-16-2017 at 02:03 PM.

I just ordered a pound of Als fdbw pellets for like $14 shipped from his inventory clear out sale. I'd say that's pretty reasonable
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I just ordered a pound of Als fdbw pellets for like $14 shipped from his inventory clear out sale. I'd say that's pretty reasonable
    Hmm, I must have missed the sale. All I'm seeing is 50g for $9.99: http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Aqua...m-pel-50Gr.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
    Hmm, I must have missed the sale. All I'm seeing is 50g for $9.99: http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Aqua...m-pel-50Gr.htm
    Pm Al. He posted about it but now I can't remember the post I'll see if I can find it for you

Here ya go

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ferrerid=80196
    Last edited by Ryan925; 07-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.

I'm bumping this thread because I would also love to get an answer. I just pulled up Al's FDBW and no offense but I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price. I'm trying to work in some more healthy variety and get away from dyes, but I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much compared to $13 for 300g of Color Bits.
    No offense taken. Everyone has their comfort level with what they pay for food. Keep in mind you asked because you were looking for "something more healthy". Theres tons of options out there for foods. Some are better than others as far as nutrition and palatability and cleanliness .Doesnt matter how nutritious a food is if the fish wont eat it, and if they do eat it and its loaded with fillers and artificial ingredients or messy but its cheap... your wallet is better off not your fish. I would start by figuring out what your budget is then compare ingredients of foods that fit that bill. Good quality ingredients cost money whether its fish food, cat food or people food. Try one at a time until you find one thats a balance of nutrition and palatability and cleanliness. Theres lots of option depending on your budget and needs.

Just be sure to only feed the new food for several days to get them to take it. Different Discus will take different pellets more readily depending on how they were raised. Understand though that theres only a few foods universally accepted by discus and nutritious and clean

How many Discus do you have?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I battled this same issue for a very long time. My Golden Checkerboard was turning orange and my Albino Platinum , pink. I asked a lot of questions even as far as Forrest in Malaysia regarding his Aqua Bites. Most commercially prepared foods contain enhancers. I have finally settled on Al's Discus Chow which contains marine proteins but has not seemed to have any negative color effects, Al's FDBW ( no he is not paying me to advertise- he just has very pure, high protein, quality foods.) I should add the discus chow is very reasonable. I had to freeze most of it. There is a lot there...
    Other than that I give them home made beef heart, Turkey, and seafood mixes that I can control what goes into them. These are the staples that have not gotten pushed to the back of the shelf. I must have a ton of money invested in foods I will never offer them again...
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I battled this same issue for a very long time. My Golden Checkerboard was turning orange and my Albino Platinum , pink. I asked a lot of questions even as far as Forrest in Malaysia regarding his Aqua Bites. Most commercially prepared foods contain enhancers. I have finally settled on Al's Discus Chow which contains marine proteins but has not seemed to have any negative color effects, Al's FDBW ( no he is not paying me to advertise- he just has very pure, high protein, quality foods.) I should add the discus chow is very reasonable. I had to freeze most of it. There is a lot there...
    Other than that I give them home made beef heart, Turkey, and seafood mixes that I can control what goes into them. These are the staples that have not gotten pushed to the back of the shelf. I must have a ton of money invested in foods I will never offer them again...
    Did your discus start to lose the artificial color after discontinuing feeding pigments or did they stay the same?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

After PMing Al and getting some stellar advice, I'm going to be ordering some of his Discus Chow. At $20 per lb it's priced very similarly to Color Bits.

Real Name
    Steve

My fish love al's chow. I think my Snow Whites have still turned "cream" a bit, but it's the best I've found.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

I received my Discus Chow and they took to it pretty much right away. Something that concerns me though is with the mini pellet size and beige color I don't know if I will be able to feed it in a tank with sand. I'm afraid it will just blend right in and the fish will never find it. It's not a problem now because I'm growing them out in a bare-bottom tank, but they're going into a planted tank as adults. Has anyone tried feeding Al's Discus Chow over sand?

I received my Discus Chow and they took to it pretty much right away. Something that concerns me though is with the mini pellet size and beige color I don't know if I will be able to feed it in a tank with sand. I'm afraid it will just blend right in and the fish will never find it. It's not a problem now because I'm growing them out in a bare-bottom tank, but they're going into a planted tank as adults. Has anyone tried feeding Al's Discus Chow over sand?
    I feed the bio gold and the fdbw pellets on sand. They are also similar color. I have to imagine discus rely on more than just eyesight to find food