AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wilds Dieing

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Default Wilds Dieing

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I am really tired of having to post here but here it goes. I have lost all five of my wild discus this week for no apparent reason, they have shown no symptoms of any disease at all. They acted completely normal up until their deaths, very active and eating almost anything put in the tank. I have domestic discus with them and not one death and they seem to be in perfect health, begging and dancing for food every time someone walks near the tank. I don't know what to do, I am very concerned that I may lose all the domestics too

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

None

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

90g, 12 now 7 discus all 5.5"-7"
    2 angelfish
    6 corys

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

75% daily to every second day

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

.5" of PFS

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Do not age, no ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp - 84f

- ph - 7.8

- ammonia reading - 0

- nitrite reading - 0

- nitrate reading - 5-10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water - yes

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

None

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Austrailian FDBW, Tropical D-Allio Flake, Cobalt Discus Flake

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Wilds Dieing

where did you get the wilds OP?
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

I get all my discus from Alberta Discus, the wilds are imported from Brazil I believe. I spoke to the owner of Alberta Discus and his stock of wilds are perfectly fine not one death. He said that none of his other customers that have purchased wilds are having unexplained deaths.

Dylan,
    Have to say this One is an odd die off... just the wilds affected and not the Domestics? When were the Domestics added?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Phil

Dylan,

May I ask how the 2 groups were introduced? Was that recently? Was one group established and you added the wilds? Or were they kept separate for some time?

Did you follow proper QT?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

All the discus were put in at the same time about 5 months ago. I had 6 wilds not 5, the 6th is still alive for now.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Just as I feared the domestic are now dieing also, They are showing symptoms now, one just died. A couple are on their sides almost dead, one has a massive sore on its forehead and they were fine just a couple hours ago. I have some pictures.
    18742673_10154549327721186_1437844918_o.jpg18745064_10154549327851186_116897033_o.jpg18745358_10154549330446186_1064823905_o.jpg18765060_10154549328416186_2036053674_o.jpg

This is a real bummer. There was no sores like these on the first set of wilds dying? Thats troubling. Dylan, I am afraid you need to cull all the fish in that tank....bleach it and start over. I would not try saving them. If you could take the fish to a fish pathologist it would be great as you could get a real answer as to the cause (they would need live specimens) If not my guess is this bacteria is extremely contagious. It very likely this is a strain of mycobacterium.. Theres no treatment and do not put your hands into that tank with any open wounds.. what ever it is is being shed into the water from those sores now. If mycobacteria, you can be infected through open wounds.

As for the source of this... its really hard to say. Many fish carry it they sometimes are able to wall it off, and look fine. Weeks, months, years latter it can come back and infect other fish. We've had members here that went thru this in past.

I am only using my best guess on this, but whatever it is, I don't think you can do anything.

I'm really Sorry.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

I am going to try find a pathologist to get an answer. I believe you are right, there is no saving them it is moving way to fast. By the time the fish are examined they will be dead guaranteed.

I will be culling the worst today. This really sucks.

start your search here...

University of Alberta in Canada

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

I looked for a pathologist but could not find any that would help me. I have not lost anymore discus since the 27th and they seem good acting normal except one. My red melon eats and acts normal most of the time but every now and then it will swim in circles really fast and then dash across the tank after the dash it goes back to acting normal. Any idea's?