ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hatching Discus Eggs

Registered Member

Default Hatching Discus Eggs

Hi All,

My discus have laid eggs four times now,

but only about 50% of the eggs at most hatch to wrigglers and as soon as the wrigglers start to move around the breeding cone the parents eat them.
    What can i do to stop them from eating the wrigglers? Should i remove the parents from the tank? i have a garden mesh (plastic) shield around the cone about two hours after the eggs are laid on this last batch so hopefully they wont eat them.

Two of the batches of eggs have also been fertile but have been attacked by some sort of mould? what can i do to stop the mould? i have been advised to put Methyl blue med in the tank but only a few drops but does not seem to stop the mould.

I have been reading alot about RODI water and have purchased a unit but it has not arrived yet. I have had the water tested and have a TDS of ~300. would this play a role? other parameters are Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate <20ppm and ammonia = 0ppm, PH is 7.2 with temp of 28 Degrees Celsius and fish are happy.

I have a water testing unit from work (Hydrogeologists water testing meter) so will post other measurements tonight when i get home.

And yes all my water is aged. However, the only thing i dont do is change water when the eggs are laid.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Default Re: Hatching Discus Eggs

First thing is to calm down. Second, if these are new discus parents, it'll take them several tries to learn what to do and not to do. Third, check out this site http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/ . It was very helpful for me. And yeah, I said was, breeding discus is the easy part, raising the fry is a LOT of work. Get ready for many, many water changes and hatching BBS.