ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Move small discus back to qt for growth?

Default Move small discus back to qt for growth?

Hey guys I've got a 4" Dark Angel from Hans that I had a really hard time with when I first got it. The fish didn't eat for almost a month in qt. I put my smallest discus in with it and it finally started to eat.

My heater went out on that tank so I ended up moving it to the main tank with my other discus. Other than his small partner, all the other discus are 5" to 6". Now it eats, but only small portions of Als fdbw.

Would it be good to move it back to the 20g qt tank so it can grow and get more food? It doesn't eat flakes in the big tank, but did in the qt. Just don't want to hurt its growth potential moving it back to a smaller tank, but if it eats more and gets more frequent water changes, possibly a good idea? Thanks!

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Move small discus back to qt for growth?

I would let him be with the rest of your discus IIWY Adam .
    Raise the WCs in the main tank , instead of taking care for 2 separate tanks daily , and he will grow to its potential eventually .
    The good thing is that he is not pecked and bullied as a new comer and a smallest discus in the same time .

He's not picked on, just not growing much since the others chase him from food some.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Parker View Post
    He's not picked on, just not growing much since the others chase him from food some.
    Between this two unfortunate scenarios for your smaller new comer , I would still choose the company of other discus , this is unless it becomes to violent for him to handle .

The one not growing much is 4", the smaller one is nearly 4" also, and the others are 5" to 6".

I suppose I'll keep it in the 125 unless there's a ton of replies for moving it. Thanks Filip!

OK so I went on and moved the 2 for the time being back to the 20. Feeding is still meh at best. They eat, but just nothing like the bigger discus.

I've had the small red Marlboro for 2 years. I think it was a runt when I bought it. Didn't know much about buying then.

The dark angel I got from hans in December and that fish has been the hardest to get to eat. I've seen not much growth at all from it either. All of my others eat like they've never seen food. I guess I should probably just leave them in the 125 and be done with it. If they grow, they grow. If not, they won't?

There are always some in the group that fall behind the rest. My checkerboard was always my runt and potential stunt way behind the rest. Out of nowhere he hit a huge growth spurt and turned out with nice size and shape
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

After thinking more about it, I had a few of my others do this as well. As said above, I moved them back to the 125 with the others. If they're eating the same way in both tanks, might as well have them in a much bigger tank with the others.