ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al, you may not like this (New camera product)

Real Name
    Matt

Default Al, you may not like this (New camera product)

https://news.developer.nvidia.com/sm...o-your-camera/

Here is the Kickstarter to read more https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-0/description

It further distances the photographer from the classic art of photography, but it is interesting to say the least. This is from a company called Arsenal, but uses NVIDIA AI and deeplearning. I'm a huge fan on NVIDIA as a company, a stockholder, and user of their computer products for years now and love the stuff they put out. So this, despite it's AI vs Human shifting focus, makes me kind of excited. I would love to put this to the test vs my own eyes and brain. The convenience alone could make it worthwhile for me.

What it's doing is not anything new, all of the options this gives have been there for years and are able to be executed by the photographer, this just does it through a computer's brain and cutting the time immensely. Just the other day I was talking about focus stacking, this could be such a simpler tool than a focus rail that is prone to human error or missing a click.

I don't know, figured I'd share. This really excites me. It can act as a monitor, remote shutter, an intervalometer (which is capable of day to night timelapses which are considered holy grails), a brain, and a sharing device all in one. It's a single package hot shoe mount and App that replaces 4-5 or maybe more separate devices you would use otherwise.

If it works well or not is the question and will be the determining factor in the end. That really can't be answered yet. Figured I'd share!
    Quick someone resuscitate Al!
    -Matt

Default Re: Al, you may not like this (New camera product)

Jeez...whats next! One more nail in the hobby's coffin! One step closer to "Wall-E"!!!!!!!!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Next will be the robot that you send out. "I want a photo at sunset of X place" Robot goes and takes the photo then you post it to Instagram lol.

I knew you'd be thrilled about it Al!
    -Matt

Lol... I think I need to switch to painting as a hobby.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

The advancements in tech are amazing but I have to agree as someone starting the hobby of photography I like to learn how to manually compose a shot vs a device do it for me. What is the point of taking shots that required no skills?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Lol... I think I need to switch to painting as a hobby.
    But wait! Someone will come along and make a CNC paint brush that does the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    But wait! Someone will come along and make a CNC paint brush that does the work for you.

lol...probably and it would probably paint better than me!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Devon I think that is important to learn the processes first. After knowing what is happening or how to do something, this comes in handy as a time saver. I think the disconnect comes if you would leave it permanently attached to the camera and use it every time you shoot instead of certain situations where it could help you.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Devon I think that is important to learn the processes first. After knowing what is happening or how to do something, this comes in handy as a time saver. I think the disconnect comes if you would leave it permanently attached to the camera and use it every time you shoot instead of certain situations where it could help you.
    It does raise a question though Matt, hypothetical one of course. A little off topic here, but could be an interesting discussion.

Lets say theres a hypothetical photo contest... At what point does tech advantage by some people affect the fairness and judging of the competition?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

That's true, however I think the tech is just allowing a wider range of people to take advantage. A pro, or someone who knows the techniques can still create anything this device can create, the device just does it in less steps and faster. So I'm not sure there is THAT big of an advantage in the complete end game (photo competition). Now if the competition puts limits on post processing and stuff like that the tech will win because you could basically say this is straight out of camera, and the EXIF will likely show that vs someone having to stack photos together in post and adjust this and that. And that is where the device will be more efficient, spitting me out a single file instead of me having to do the process. Or if it was a competition that had the setup of your Game Time thread where you HAD to shoot something the day of posting I think the device would beat the brain, just a simple matter of hours involved. It's almost the same argument that was had when post processing became the norm. At what point is it an advantage? Then everyone started doing it and now if you don't do it to some degree you are the anomaly. We are already at the point where the cameras do a lot of work, only a matter of time before the same deep learning of this thing is in the chips of the cameras and built in themselves. It's the same AI tech going into supercomputing, phones, and smart cars, only a matter of time before it hits cameras. I think we just have to sell the market, the current market is tech so like it or not it's coming lol I'm of the opinion we might as well get on board. I'm also one of those people who will be in line to get the computer chip contact lens or have a chip under my skin though. There will always be some corner or market for the stuff without tech, I mean you can still shoot and develop film.

I don't know that I'll like this, because I find working an image in post almost cathartic in a way. I like sitting down and working an image, it's enjoyable. So if this takes it away completely then I don't know that I'll like it or use it often. But I do want to try it as I could see many benefits to having it in the camera bag that would save me time and headaches.
    -Matt

I've always wanted to take really good photos but have never been willing to take the time to learn how to do it. This would definitely be for someone like me. I like it. I do see and understand Al's point but.....................
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Im also one of those people who will be in line to get the computer chip contact lens or have a chip under my skin though
    lol... we differ here immensely! hell would freeze over before I have a chip put under my skin. Its bad enough you can't use the phone or email without it being archived, or walk down the street without a remote camera watching you.. I'm too much of a "privacy, get big brother out of my face, life and business" guy to give someone that kind potential invasion of privacy.... no thanks , no way....that stuff makes me cringe.

I'm obviously not anti-tech.. but I am very anti Artificial Intelligence. I also just really find pleasure in doing things myself.. I want to know how to do something, How it works. How I can manipulate it, change it, improve it or understand it. I can buy a picture or learn to make a picture. I can buy a beer or learn to brew it myself. I can buy a back up solar generator or learn to make one. Buy an aquarium LED or make one...Buy a new generator or take apart an old broken one and fix it. Buy bread or learn how to make my own. Buy veggies or learn how to grow them. Buy a PC stock with a Windows OS or learn Linux. These things I do give me great pleasure..force me to think and problem solve. Force me to read and learn. To learn how a thing works...apply it myself. DIY makes life interesting. Theres always an easy way to do something and get it done faster... but for me the fun isn't the endpoint. Its the Journey. Especially if its a hobby! Technology that shortens the trip or makes it pointless just makes me want to do something else.

Yep.. I am an anomaly and happily so.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-27-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

lol... we differ here immensely! hell would freeze over before I have a chip put under my skin. Its bad enough you can't use the phone or email without it being archived, or walk down the street without a remote camera watching you.. I'm too much of a "privacy, get big brother out of my face, life and business" guy to give someone that kind potential invasion of privacy.... no thanks , no way....that stuff makes me cringe.

I'm obviously not anti-tech.. but I am very anti Artificial Intelligence. I also just really find pleasure in doing things myself.. I want to know how to do something, How it works. How I can manipulate it, change it, improve it or understand it. I can buy a picture or learn to make a picture. I can buy a beer or learn to brew it myself. I can buy a back up solar generator or learn to make one. Buy an aquarium LED or make one...Buy a new generator or take apart an old broken one and fix it. Buy bread or learn how to make my own. Buy veggies or learn how to grow them. Buy a PC stock with a Windows OS or learn Linux. These things I do give me great pleasure..force me to think and problem solve. Force me to read and learn. To learn how a thing works...apply it myself. DIY makes life interesting. Theres always an easy way to do something and get it done faster... but for me the fun isn't the endpoint. Its the Journey. Especially if its a hobby! Technology that shortens the trip or makes it pointless just makes me want to do something else.

Yep.. I am an anomaly and happily so.

al
    LOL I know Al you'd be running the other way. I guess I've already decided they are listening anyway with cell phones and social media, if you want to waste hours of your day listening in on my law abiding and otherwise boring life then be my guest. I just want the tech that can make me run faster, jump higher, think faster, live longer, and maybe shoot lasers from my eyes. I want the chip to act as my wallet, passport, my car keys, and my cell phone.

I think AI will have a limit. I like the AI that can help and assist the human race, I don't want the AI that replaces the human race completely obviously. The AI in your fridge that can order food for you when it senses you are low, or the one that will project information and data onto your bathroom mirror in the morning (weather, social media feeds, news), etc. I still enjoy doing things myself and teaching myself things like you do, but if AI can assist me with tasks I am all for it. What if the AI can help your learning how to make better bread, or grow better produce? Think Jarvis in Iron Man. Tony Stark had the brains and the mind, Jarvis just helped compute better processes.
    -Matt

lol... yeah but if Ai lets you keep your discus better I'll have to close the forum!

LOL I know Al you'd be running the other way. I guess I've already decided they are listening anyway with cell phones and social media, if you want to waste hours of your day listening in on my law abiding and otherwise boring life then be my guest. I just want the tech that can make me run faster, jump higher, think faster, live longer, and maybe shoot lasers from my eyes. I want the chip to act as my wallet, passport, my car keys, and my cell phone.
    Just remember, its not only that big brother has access to this stuff... its any one that hacks Big brother. As long as that data exists, its a liability to your privacy and identity.

see I told you itd be an interesting discussion albeit off topic tangent!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Logging onto anything on the internet could potentially put you at the same risk lol, I've been at risk for years. I guess I'm desensitized to it now for better or for worse.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast