AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I think I am going to stop doing water changes

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

Default I think I am going to stop doing water changes

Every time I do, somebody spawns. They are getting old enough to figure it out now. I have at least 4 proven pairs in the tank and 1 new pair that laid eggs once (none hatched). Somebody is always fighting at this point. Seem to always have one or two dark fish and a few ragged fins (my males are ornery!)

Worst part is, I want to keep some from each pair. To date, the pairs and number of babies I have managed to pull out of the community tank are:

#1 - Alenquer Red x F2 RSG - They successfully raised 5 babies to quarter size. Currently about silver dollar size in a growout tank
    #2 - Alenquer Red x Rio Purus Royal Blue (Red base RB) - raised about 35 to quarter plus. Currently in a grow out tank. About 50% blues and 50% red/brown. I was surprised by this split
    #3 - Rio Purus Royal Blue x Royal Blue - currently none from this pair in grow out. See pics below. Maybe get some from this batch
    #4 - F2 RSG x Royal Green (from Tefe lines) - none. Only spawned a couple times and usually only have 5-10 hatch. Probably my favorite pair. Probably going to pull them and put them in their own tank to try to get a batch (cuz I really, really need another tank!)
    #5 - Royal Blue x Mystery Red (possible Rose Red/Blue Cover - bright red with blue halo) - one spawn, none hatched
    #6?? - Royal blue x Blue Face Heckel - hang out together, defend a corner of the tank, but I have never seen eggs.

Default Re: I think I am going to stop doing water changes

That is insane Jeff! When there are a bunch of pregnant people at work we joke about what is in the drinking fountains. Seriously...what the heck is in YOUR water!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff D'huyvetter

I have no clue. Years ago when I was in to discus, I never had this kind of success. I had one good pair of german red turqs and constant troubles with everyone else. Years later, got in to the pandas and PB strains. Never had any great pairs. They lived for a long time, but almost no breeding activity. I am also regularly pulling baby tetras out of the overflows and the sump. To date gold, serpae and lemons have all spawned with anywhere from 1 to 5 babies raised to adulthood (per spawn).

This go round is just crazy. I honestly think some of it has to do with my lighting. I am using solar tubes. So I get a natural change in daily intensity and also seasonal intensity. I would be very interested to see if anyone is using programmable LED fixtures compared to just an on/off fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhuyvetter View Post
    I have no clue. Years ago when I was in to discus, I never had this kind of success. I had one good pair of german red turqs and constant troubles with everyone else. Years later, got in to the pandas and PB strains. Never had any great pairs. They lived for a long time, but almost no breeding activity. I am also regularly pulling baby tetras out of the overflows and the sump. To date gold, serpae and lemons have all spawned with anywhere from 1 to 5 babies raised to adulthood (per spawn).

This go round is just crazy. I honestly think some of it has to do with my lighting. I am using solar tubes. So I get a natural change in daily intensity and also seasonal intensity. I would be very interested to see if anyone is using programmable LED fixtures compared to just an on/off fixture.
    I know a few of us use the programmable LEDs but I doubt many of us have it set to a daily and seasonal intensity. That could very well be it tho. I moved the one I could time like that to my community tank because it was a pain to program. I have the Current Satelite Plus Pro on the discus now but I don't think you can program it that way. Just a ramp on and off to different spectrums and intensities.
    I have an Aqua Illumination HD 26 on my reef tank I know you can do it with that one. I have no desire to breed though, so it is staying put!

You may have something there though!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

You should sell your water.

I've often wondered the effects of the daily sound cycle have ( or rather the lack of a sun cycle) on aquatic animals that are kept under artificial lighting all day.

Real Name
    Filip

I guess its never boring for you to look at your tank Jeff , everyday new spawn amd pairing happens .
    My guess is that it has much more to do with your soft and acidic RO water than it has something with the natural solar tube lights .
    Anyway this is a pleasure to watch for every discus keeper .