AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: how many discus can you add at once to new tank

Registered Member

Default how many discus can you add at once to new tank

Ok so I'm setting up my new 125 gallon tank planning on getting 10 to 12 adult discus and maybe a few fancy plecos anyway I was wondering how many discus can you add at once to a newly cycled tank I'm going to be doing a fishless cycle so can you order all 10 to 12 discus all at once or would it be wise to get say 6 to start out for a month or so and then add the remaining in a few months was just curious if I add too many to quick will I run into any kind of problems thanks

Default Re: how many discus can you add at once to new tank

As many as you want just stay on top daily wcs until bb catches up

It's best to get all of your fish at once from the same source then you don't have to qt a new group
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

I learned the hard way. Thought I would save room for a must-have variety that might pop up later on. Had some aggression and had to add 2 more just one month late-r meaning having to set up a QT tank and have to do another tank of water changes. Then aggression started in the QT tank between the two and I had to divide the already small tank even smaller. It was not ideal. I could have kicked myself. If you can afford it- get them all at once like Ryan said and save yourself the hassle and risk of new additions down the road.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

My tank is a 125 and I did a fishless using the ammonia from the ace hardware store. What I did was get a synringe from the drugstore so I could measure each amount of ammonia I put in my tank and wrote it down in a planner to keep up with it until the cycling was complete. When the big day came I added close to a 100 tetras, 8 copies, 6 rams and 5 clown loaches. Then a day a few months later a close friend of mine called me and gave me 10 discus free. That was maybe 2 years ago. I stuck to my water changes every other day siphoning out almost all of the water that my said I was going to kill them . I still have all the discus and most of the tetras , copies and 2 of the clown loaches. So yes you can add the 10 - 12 discus if you want to, just watch your water parameters closely and do your water changes and you should be fine.

Registered Member

Ok thanks for the replies just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem if I can afford it ill probally just get all in one shot but I'm thinking I may add the plecos and maybe a few dozen tetras a month or so before ordering the discus

Real Name
    Phil

Just qt whatever you add. I've learned the hard way many times. Not worth it.

Last thing you want is to have a great group going and drop in a school of bad fish and boom. Elm street! Not a nightmare you want to go through. Especially since it's avoidable !!