AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Will this driftwood hurt discus?

Real Name
    Scott

Default Will this driftwood hurt discus?

There is alot of points. Do I need to trim some branches or will the dicus be ok? The wood is manzanita.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScottW; 05-27-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Will this driftwood hurt discus?

Hi Scott.
    I would definitely trim back the small pointy bits, or at least round them off with a file or coarse sand paper. Keep in mind that discus do spook on occasion and will definitely collide with those pointy bits causing damage which may lead to infections.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Scott.
    I would definitely trim back the small pointy bits, or at least round them off with a file or coarse sand paper. Keep in mind that discus do spook on occasion and will definitely collide with those pointy bits causing damage which may lead to infections.
    Agree.

Real Name
    Scott

Thanks ill take some off and sand the edges.

Real Name
    Filip

This wood looks so sharp and pointed Scott that not just discus but even you can hurt your self on it during maintenance .
    Do try to cut and sand paper the edges .

Once in awhile, yes. I'd use it though. I have worse... didn't kill any. About 2 to 3 times a year one will get scraped. So yeah, it's a risk... but IME, not a big one. I love it by the way
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Depending on whether or not your water is soft, it may lower the Ph ( and further soften the water0 by the acids released. I've experienced (I have very soft water) where adding Wood to a tank makes the PH Dip. This may be desirable (if you want to soft your water a bit and lower your PH a Bit) however if you don't have a lot of KH Buffer in your water source, it would need to be monitored ( Ive had wood cause a PH Crash once, Killed off two Juvies as a result).

I also agree with the Above, Trip any sharp Bits.

Nice piece tho.
    Do you know how old it is?

Real Name
    Scott

Connor, I'm not sure. I bought it off manzanita-driftwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorD View Post
    Depending on whether or not your water is soft, it may lower the Ph ( and further soften the water0 by the acids released. I've experienced (I have very soft water) where adding Wood to a tank makes the PH Dip. This may be desirable (if you want to soft your water a bit and lower your PH a Bit) however if you don't have a lot of KH Buffer in your water source, it would need to be monitored ( Ive had wood cause a PH Crash once, Killed off two Juvies as a result).

I also agree with the Above, Trip any sharp Bits.

Nice piece tho.
    Do you know how old it is?
    Totally agree on ph point. Just monitor ph over time. Not just the first month or two. But the Manz you got should be good to go. Trimming tips is a risk level decision. I'm one who'd leave it be but I think I'm a minority on that stance. It's all risk at different levels. Hell, every thing in life is... but when most think there's only two decisions, I guarantee there are more than two. Let us know your goal/intent for "Discus care-to-show tank" balance (e.g., raise big Discus in B.B. with one piece of rounded edge dw or natural scape with chance of scraping Discus once in a blue moon). Me, I'm towards the latter. My discus don't get as big and get scraped up once in awhile. See my old thread on mine for my own lessons learned if it helps.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Scott

Im planning on getting 3.5 to 4 inch discus. I'm planning on going with .5 to .75 inch white sand. Plan on using alittle plants like Amazon swords, jungle val and some anubias and christmas moss on the drift wood.

Rgr. Unfamiliar with xmas moss. If it's like java moss then uphill battle with temps. All else is fine. Below link might help. Insight on one of my own experiences that might help (even failures to avoid)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ank&highlight=
    -Elliot

I don't really see it altering ph unless it is continually releasing tannins. The "over time" theory should be a non issue with the frequent water changes required.

I soak my manzanita prior to adding to tank. Doing so will allow the tannins to be released as well as get the wood to sink when you put it in the tank
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Paul

Most likely won't get a ph change at all with manzanita. Had 0 issues with the stuff. I would pre soak it as well it will release a little tannins and make the water slightly murky. It's not quite like bogwoods or or Malaysian driftwood where it turns water to a dark tea color.

Quote Originally Posted by woopaul5 View Post
    Most likely won't get a ph change at all with manzanita. Had 0 issues with the stuff. I would pre soak it as well it will release a little tannins and make the water slightly murky. It's not quite like bogwoods or or Malaysian driftwood where it turns water to a dark tea color.
    +1. Same experience here
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is