AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Red melon colour.

Registered Member

Default Red melon colour.

Hey friends

I have red melon small ones anout 4cm size.

But they dont have that much of colour.

They are only 4 months old.
    I use sea shrimp (grinded) and mix with BH.

What are the natural sources of getting red colour in melons ?

Also can I use beetroot for red colour ?
    Its hard to find Astaxanthin in my country.

Please help

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Red melon colour.

Iahi , your Mellon's are still too young and small to display any significant colouration , so don't worry about them still being dull coloured.
    The thing that concerns me here is their size versus age ratio. 4 cm is less than 2 " size . That's a size a 2 month discus should reach .
    At 4 months they should be rather twice as big as they are now.

Your shrimps and BH feeding is perfect Combo for growing juvvies . Just feed them at least 3-4 times and change water daily and they should colour up nicely on this food alone .
    Grinded frozen salmon fish is great natural color enchancer too , so you can feed them that too , on occasions .
    Feed more and change water more , to get the best growth and vigour out of them , and the colour will come along naturally as they grow.
    Last edited by Filip; 05-29-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Iahi , your Mellon's are still too young and small to display any significant colouration , so don't worry about them still being dull coloured.
    The thing that concerns me here is their size versus age ratio. 4 cm is less than 2 " size . That's a size a 2 month discus should reach .
    At 4 months they should be rather twice as big as they are now.

Your shrimps and BH feeding is perfect Combo for growing juvvies . Just feed them at least 3-4 times and change water daily and they should colour up nicely on this food alone .
    Grinded frozen salmon fish is great natural color enchancer too , so you can feed them that too , on occasions .
    Feed more and change water more , to get the best growth and vigour out of them , and the colour will come along naturally as they grow.
    Hey thank you for the information.

If I do my water changes today (50%) . Then ill do my water changes again in day after tomorrow. 50%

My tank size is 3ft * 1.5ft* 1.5ft. and having about 25 juvis.
    Do u think I have overstocked the tank ?

Registered Member

Hi Iahi,
    I have red melons growing too, they do take awhile to colour as do most strains, it will come it just takes time. Here's a couple pics of mine to give you an idea.

The pic on the ruler is 2 months, the other pic is just under 3 months
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex82 View Post
    Hi Iahi,
    I have red melons growing too, they do take awhile to colour as do most strains, it will come it just takes time. Here's a couple pics of mine to give you an idea.

The pic on the ruler is 2 months, the other pic is just under 3 months
    Hey thanks for these pictures. Really appreciate your effort.

I have 30 juveniles in 3ft * 1.5ft * 1.5 ft tank. Do u think I have over stoked them ?

Also around 5 to 10 are in this size. But the others are small.
    Please tell me what Im doing wrong here. Ill try to upload my ones tomorrow.

Real Name
    Filip

Yes Iahi , I think that you are way overstocked , especially given the fact that you do only 50% WC , every other day .
    I would cut the number in half , leaving the 15 most desirable discus in your 40-50 G tank , and I would also increase WCs to more than 50% - and daily . That way you'll ensure better appetite, better growth and healthier discus .
    Its better to end up with even 7 great looking discus than having 30 stunted or sick discus to deal with .

Registered Member

Agree with filip, the only way to counter the amount of fish you have is with cleaner water in that size tank

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Yes Iahi , I think that you are way overstocked , especially given the fact that you do only 50% WC , every other day .
    I would cut the number in half , leaving the 15 most desirable discus in your 40-50 G tank , and I would also increase WCs to more than 50% - and daily . That way you'll ensure better appetite, better growth and healthier discus .
    Its better to end up with even 7 great looking discus than having 30 stunted or sick discus to deal with .
    Hey you guys are awesome. Thanks . To tell u the truth m raising these juvis to sell. I dont like ppl saying bad things about my fish. This is the first batch of mine. But I have kept discuss earlier. But not this much amount. Any other advice would be great.