ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Would like some help with water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Would like some help with water

Hello Mark here. I am still in the research phase of getting discus.A memeber suggested I test my tap water and then after 24 hrs with airstone. The results were not much different. Have very hard water here in NM. results of tap was 20 nitrate 0 nitrite 150 hardness 180 alk 8 ph , after 24 hrs 10 rate 0 rite 150 hardness 180 alk 8 ph. Can i use tap water? I use RO water now on tank.
    Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Mark

Default Re: Would like some help with water

It will be tough having 10-20ppm nitrate in your source water. You may need to go 50/50 or potentially all r/o remineralized.

You are using ro on other tanks?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Tes I am The 55 gal that I want to use for the discus and my reef tank. I retested the tap water using a API test kit and the results were pH 7.4 Am 0 nitrate 8 and nitrite 0 after 24 hrs it was ph 7.6 Am 0 nitrate 5 and nitrite 0. Can i use a mixture of r/o and tap? What would be test results that I should aim for to be safe to use for the discus?
    Thank you Ryan

Mark

Real Name
    Willie

You might consider calling your local water utility for their regular water testing results. 20 ppm nitrate is near the safety limit for human consumption.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Lightbulb Re: Would like some help with water

Hello fellow Discus owners,

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I cant figure out how to start my own. I figured that my issue is a similar case and I could you your professional opinion. I have been using filtered water from the store and every 5 gallons costs me 1.50. I know it doesn't seem much but 2x 35% water changes a week can add up. I recently tested my tap water (pictures below) and the high and low PH levels are completely different from the filtered water. I believe my current PH level is around 6.4- 7.2. I have 6 discus ( 2 are beginning to pair) in a 45g tank. I have a Fluval 406 that is keeping the water super clean. My discus don't seem to move around much and continue to nip each other. I started with the yellow discus and the dark black discus and added the other 4 about a month ago. The two that are paired seemed to have taken over the left half of the tank. I tested both waters and attached the pictures below. Would it be safe to switch over to the tap water? How would I do it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Sean

You would gradually switch over to your tap water by about 30% more tap water each water change until you reach 100% tap water. Make sure you add a dechlorinator like seachem prime or seachem safe to your tap water before you add it to your tank and also make sure that the replacement water is at or with 2 degrees of your tank's water temperature.

Real Name
    Jim

There is a filter very popular in England, can't remember what they call it, but I believe it is basically a couple of carbon blocks without the R/O membrane. That and some Seachem Prime might be all you need
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Quote Originally Posted by artiniphone View Post
    Hello fellow Discus owners,

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I cant figure out how to start my own. I figured that my issue is a similar case and I could you your professional opinion. I have been using filtered water from the store and every 5 gallons costs me 1.50. I know it doesn't seem much but 2x 35% water changes a week can add up. I recently tested my tap water (pictures below) and the high and low PH levels are completely different from the filtered water. I believe my current PH level is around 6.4- 7.2. I have 6 discus ( 2 are beginning to pair) in a 45g tank. I have a Fluval 406 that is keeping the water super clean. My discus don't seem to move around much and continue to nip each other. I started with the yellow discus and the dark black discus and added the other 4 about a month ago. The two that are paired seemed to have taken over the left half of the tank. I tested both waters and attached the pictures below. Would it be safe to switch over to the tap water? How would I do it?
    You say ph is 6.4-7.2. What is the actual value? That's a huge range...also 6 discus in a 45 is not ideal. That tank is too small

Do you have a picture of this dark black discus? There is no such thing as a dark black discus. If it's dark black it is likely very stressed and potentially sick
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is