ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Kanaplex vs biofilter

Default Kanaplex vs biofilter

I did a full dose last night at 4 measure spoon for 20g hospital tank, and today i am freak out with nearly 1ppm ammonia reading. Did a 100%wc just now and assume the biofilter in the well matured sponge are toasted . Zero nitrite and nitrate less than 5.
    I know seachem claims that kanaplex has no impact on biofilter and they stated in their forum " components in kanaplex react to many test kit and cause positive reading", nevertheless it isn't a pretty thing to see green on ammonia test tube. Thus kanamycin wouldn't have problems wiping out bb
    Plus the fish aren't happy, may be because of the med or ammonia, i do not know
    Has any one experienceed similar case? Should i be worry? I stopped the kanaplex treatment for now, maybe need the add prime
    What should i do?

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Kanaplex vs biofilter

I just did a week of kanamycin + metronidazole + nitrofuranzone + salt and my biofilter remained intact. Hard to understand why your biofilter would be wrecked so quickly.

Real Name
    Filip

My treat of kanaplex didn't result in any Ill effects on water quallity nor my discus . Nevertheless it didn't help my discus either though .
    I haven't actually tested the water for ammonia , but I didn't felt urgo to do so , because the water in QT tank was pristine and discus were in good shape too .
    Last edited by Filip; 05-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    ...I know seachem claims that kanaplex has no impact on biofilter and they stated in their forum "components in kanaplex react to many test kit and cause positive reading"...
    Do you have a link where they say this?

It is my understanding that kanamycin will wipe out a bio filter. I may be wrong though. In any case I only use a simple air stone and change all water every day or every 36 hours anytime I use antibiotics. Never used kanaplex though.
    Last edited by 100fuegos; 05-29-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Do you have a link where they say this?
    http://www.myaquariumclub.com/kanapl...ia-724678.html <-- it is stated in the last comment and I have seen a few of these during research

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    My treat of kanaplex didn't result in any Ill effects on water quallity nor my discus . Nevertheless it didn't help my discus either though .
    I haven't actually tested the water for ammonia , but I didn't felt urgo to do so , because the water in QT tank was pristine and discus were in good shape too .
    You are exactly right, most QT tank has pristine water because we do at least daily wc, I only test the water because my fish look piss off @_@, after 3 test with positive result, I didn't believe it myself so I did a google search, I'm not the first case -.-. Water is good just now, so I will continue with Kanaplex treatment and let hope it was false reading ...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/kanapl...ia-724678.html <-- it is stated in the last comment and I have seen a few of these during research
    Well, thats interesting. Kanaplex is only 1/3 kanamycin, which is the medicine, the rest is other ingredients. You can get pure kanamycin from Jehmco or Angelsplus way cheaper.

Man, you are from the US, you have no idea how lucky you are to get med so easily.
    Here in Australia, even something like metronidazole is hard to get, not mentioning antibiotic like kana . I order my kanaplex from US, cost me more than double with postage @_@

Real Name
    Filip

Man, you are from the US, you have no idea how lucky you are to get med so easily.
    Here in Australia, even something like metronidazole is hard to get, not mentioning antibiotic like kana . I order my kanaplex from US, cost me more than double with postage @_@
    I got mine from a Vet.Station in a solution form . They use kanamycine sulfate to inject cats and dogs . They use everything that we use for discus treatments too , metro, levamisole , prazi etc.
    Maybe try your local Vet station first .

About the filter . Did you put out filter materials from your main discus tank to cycle QT or it was cycled separately ? Whats your bioload - fish vs water capacity in your QT tank ?
    Maybe your filter wasn't cycled enough to handle this bioload?
    Just trying to go through all the possibilities here .

Hi Filip,
    The Vet here will be more than happy to help and charge me about $300 consultation from what I know .
    all the biomeadia/sponge i get it from my sump with heavy bioload. I did 80% before dose, with 2 small 4" discus in a 20G tank without feeding, something must gone wrong -.-.
    Anyway, I get some more biopure block from my sump into the hospital tank last night, this morning test is zero, let see how it is when i get home @_@, im scare