AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New to discus breeding

Registered Member

Default New to discus breeding

Hi everyone
    Here is my story, a pair of my discus start to spawn at my main tank for the first time, so I home make a divider to separate the pair and the rest of the fish, thing are going pretty well at the beginning the egg hatch and wiggle. But after the wiggle, the next morning I wake up everything is gone (I assume they eat them all). So I put them into a 25 gallons tank and they spawn 2 time, the first time they eat all the egg and the second time which just happens yesterday, and this time I add a divider between the egg and the fish, my TDs in my main tank is around 100 and my breeding tank TDS is 80, should I lower the tds? Any recommendations?

Registered Member

Default Re: New to discus breeding

i am by no means an expert but most of what i read suggests that you should allow the parents to do there thing till they raise the fry without eating them on there own. In terms of TDS if that is what you have coming out of tap then go for it, if you are already controlling it i would suggest lowering it. Let others comment though. you can also try a porous cover.

Registered Member

Default Re: New to discus breeding

I did control the breeding tank to 70, how low should I go for?
    The tap that coming out of my house is around 100.
    I mix with RO to lower to 70.