ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Default Salt Question

As everyone knows you must add salt to an aquarium every now and then.
    My question is can sifto pool salt be used,is it the same as food grade salt.
    Stu

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Salt Question

Stuart,

Why are you using the salt to begin with?

I have no idea about that salt, it is prob. different, I'd go w standard epsom, its so cheap, not worth subbing for possible ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by donnacona View Post
    As everyone knows you must add salt to an aquarium every now and then.
    Stu
    Why do you think you must add salt to an aquarium every now and then??? I've never added salt to my tanks, unless treating an illness, and I've been keeping fish for over 50 years.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Stuart

Thank you just asking, not very often but once and a while ( once a year ) I see the fish shaking the fins and rubbing on objects.
    I add a little aquarium salt and things are fine again. I do lots of water changes to keep the nitrates down.
    Stu

surprisingly many people have told me to add salt to increase GH for aquarium and it has become a habit for many ~_~. When I start with discus I add rocksalt to have my GH 2-3 ( we have zero GH/KH in Melbourne); as time goes in simply, i read so many threads and most experienced member saying "not to use salt regularly", and now my weapons of choice are Calcium Chloride, Epsom salt,bicarb soda, crush coral, sometime even Calcium carbonate. I have not find the best stuff to use yet, more experiment needed.

@larry: what should I do with zero KH/GH, which of the above chems is best to use ?

Registered Member

'food grade salt' - do you mean normal table salt ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Harry i only have crush coral in a little sock in the canister filter just to stop ph crash also rock salt does not increase GH ,playing with bicarb soda ,calcium carbonate etc destabilize your water chemistry unless you know exactly what you are doing i would not play with your water ,there is nothing wrong with Melbourne water ( Amazon water is very soft as well ) ,there is no need for adding salt to water unless there is a need like adding epsom for cleaning the intestine of the fish ,just my opinion.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Harry i only have crush coral in a little sock in the canister filter just to stop ph crash also rock salt does not increase GH ,playing with bicarb soda ,calcium carbonate etc destabilize your water chemistry unless you know exactly what you are doing i would not play with your water ,there is nothing wrong with Melbourne water ( Amazon water is very soft as well ) ,there is no need for adding salt to water unless there is a need like adding epsom for cleaning the intestine of the fish ,just my opinion.
    + 1

lucky I only play with the smaller tank! but rock salt really increase GH in that tank.
    about bicarb, I always add a small amount in my aging barrel, I have experimented and found a sweet spot and maintain PH at 7.2 and 3 drops for GH/KH.
    I believe my fish got use to it now, if Gh is zero again, they will start shaking fin etc. Correct me if i'm wrong :|

Real Name
    Mervin

Usually,it is calcium and magnesium that is measured for GH.There are many others that can increase GH like potassium,sodium chloride and other minerals.GH and KH go hand in hand;calcium and bicarbonates will increase both.When I kept Malawi cichlids,I made my own buffer.I would mix first the KH components(calcium and baking soda) to raise it to the proper PH and top off the GH by adding,Salt ,magnesium and a small amount of potassium and other micro nutrients.

[QUOTE=donnacona;1263939]As everyone knows you must add salt to an aquarium every now and then.
    My question is can sifto pool salt be used,is it the same as food grade salt.
    Stu[/QUO
    Stu, it look like its just sodium chloride, the company that makes it also makes culinary grade...
    SiftoŽ Pool Salt

Sifto Pool Salt produces the sparkling clear water that only a salt water pool can provide. So you and your family can get the very most from your backyard pool, year after year.

Less start up time with quick-dissolving crystals
    Contains a natural stain fighter that prevents stains on pool surfaces so you can enjoy your sparkling pool, worry-free
    Meets or exceeds the standards set by leading chlorine generator manufacturers
    Eliminates the handling and odor of harsh chemicals
    Safer and gentler on skin, hair and eyes than traditional chlorine
    Reduces fading of swimwear fabrics
    Easier and less expensive to maintain than traditional chlorine pools
    Certified by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) to NSF/ANSI 60
    http://www.compassminerals.com/info/...fto-pool-salt/

but really for the limited times when you might use Salt ( as a medication) Kosher salt is fine,

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    lucky I only play with the smaller tank! but rock salt really increase GH in that tank.
    about bicarb, I always add a small amount in my aging barrel, I have experimented and found a sweet spot and maintain PH at 7.2 and 3 drops for GH/KH.
    I believe my fish got use to it now, if Gh is zero again, they will start shaking fin etc. Correct me if i'm wrong :|
    Harry ,shaking fins some time is because of water temp being low or is part of mating ritual but what ever the reason please don't change GH SUDDENLY ,it is a recipe for disaster .

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Harry ,shaking fins some time is because of water temp being low or is part of mating ritual but what ever the reason please don't change GH SUDDENLY ,it is a recipe for disaster .
    Gottcha , GH always 3, temp always 28. Never again want a disaster @_@

Real Name
    Heidi

Can someone help please? I salted my tank with aquarium salt yesterday and today. It's at 2ppt right now. I just read that Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate usp) is recommended for swim bladder which my discus appear to have. Is it safe to add Epsom salt to a tank that has aquarium salt since Epsom salt is a magnesium laxative and the other is not? They are totally different, right? I put Epsom salt in a glass with water and tested positive with my salt meter- it does read out on the meter that it is a salt.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Michael Lee

My answer would be no! The only kind of salt you should use in an aquarium is aquarium salt that you can buy at the pet store. Table salt contains iodine. Pool salt I'm unfamiliar with. Also, I don't add any salt to my aquarium. Once I was giving them the recommended amounts on the label but it made my discus stopped eating, were hiding all the time, got spoked easy. When I stopped the salt, they recovered very quickly upon a good water change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast