AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help

Registered Member

Default Help

Hi All,

I'm just going to get right into it; I did a water change 6 days ago (about 60 %) in my 55-gallon tank. One of my discus got sick (Don't understand why, think it was parasite, bacteria & he got beat-up. Pictures attach,) and the next three days I was doing 50 + % water changer ever day. Till I got/set up a new 29 gallon tank (my "hospital tank" Picture attached), I put him in the hospital tank day 3 (late at Night). Day 4 I stated him on Epsom salt, Pimafix (Pimenta racemosa 1.0%) and Melafix (Melaleuca 1.0%), two to three dose a day (1 does = 30 gallon amount listed), and repeated this on day 5. He now look better and is more active but hasn’t eating any thing is the past 6 days. Water temp is 87, I feed them freeze dried black spinach worm combo. I will post picture after the water change today, for any addition info please let me know.

Thank you all,
    adeer siddiqui

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Help

Please fill out the disease questionnaire here it will be much easier to help you with all of that information. Did you add anything new to the tank? None of the other fish appear to be affected besides this one?

Registered Member

Yes, this is the only fish that is affected. And the only changes to the hospital tank i did was increasing the temperature. Usually my 55 gallon is around 86 - 88 and the hospital tank i keep around 87 to 90 but after todays water change I increased it to 92. The reason I did so was because i read some where that the hotter temperature kills the bacteria and increase the fish's appetite, don’t know how true that is. But my fish is more active (only did 2 thing wc/inc temp). He's still not eating tho, and phill I don’t know what you mean when you stated, "disease questionnaire".

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.13 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adeer View Post
    Yes, this is the only fish that is affected. And the only changes to the hospital tank i did was increasing the temperature. Usually my 55 gallon is around 86 - 88 and the hospital tank i keep around 87 to 90 but after todays water change I increased it to 92. The reason I did so was because i read some where that the hotter temperature kills the bacteria and increase the fish's appetite, don’t know how true that is. But my fish is more active (only did 2 thing wc/inc temp). He's still not eating tho, and phill I don’t know what you mean when you stated, "disease questionnaire".

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 4.33.13 PM.jpg
    If you go to the disease section of the forum and make a new post there there is a questionnaire that you can copy and paste that will provide us with the info needed to try and help your issue.

Do you always keep your main tank temp that high ? 82-84 is all that's necessary.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Phil

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    If you go to the disease section of the forum and make a new post there there is a questionnaire that you can copy and paste that will provide us with the info needed to try and help your issue.

Do you always keep your main tank temp that high ? 82-84 is all that's necessary.
    ya as long as i can remember, 82 to 88 is a good range, the breeder i get my discus from, he keeps it as 84 to 86

Registered Member

thank you

Registered Member

thank you phill

Problem
    The problem I noticed was that one of my fish, had his skin peeling off with white mark to the skin also have damage fins. I noticed the problem 6 days ago. And nothing out of the usual was done to cause it (a usually water change was done the day before) and just realized i have a nitrate issue.

Symptom,
    Notice white mark on the skin (don’t know the proper term for it but you can notice it on the pictures), a little slime on skin. Plus was and is not eating food

Medications
    In 55 gallon tank (day 1 to 3)
    • 50 + % Water change ever day (tap water)
    In 29 gallon tank (day 4 - now)
    • Epsom salt - 3 to 4 tablespoon (1 dosage), 2 to 3 dosage a day so 8 to 12 tablespoon a day.
    • Pimafix (Pimenta racemosa 1.0%) - 15 ml (1 dosage),2 to 3 dosage a day so 45 ml a day.
    • Melafix (Melaleuca 1.0%) - 15 ml (1 dosage),2 to 3 dosage a day so 45 ml a day.
    • 50 % Water changes ever day (tap water)

Was adding Epsom salt, Pimafix and Melafix all at the same time for 3 days into the tank. Now the skin isn’t slime, the fish is more active, still has white mark on the skin tho.

Tank/Water
    The first 3rd day was in 55 gallon tank with 7 fish's including itself. 5 fish's are about 3 & half to 4 inch about and 1 to 1 half year old. 2 other fish are 1 to 1 1/4 inch range about 2 to 3 month old. From the 4th day to now the fish is in 29 gallon tank by itself.

Both tanks are bare bottom,55 gallon is been running for years, 1 yr plus few month w/ discus, 29 gallon started it 4 day ago.

Parameters

29 gallon
    • temp = first 3 days was 86 to 90 (current 92 planning to keep it there for the next 3,4 days)
    • ph = 7.2
    • ammonia reading = 0 ppm
    • nitrite reading = 0 mg/ l
    • nitrate reading = < 10 mg/l

Don’t know why the nitrate level is so high, especially after todays water change but I only had a foam in my filter for the past 3 day due to the medication. Just added the carbon and zero card into my filter (what I had laying around). Going to change everything tomorrow when I do the wc with a new foam, carbon and biomax.

55 gallon
    • temp = 86 - 88 (86 right now)
    • ph = 7.2
    • ammonia reading = 0
    • nitrite reading = 0 mg/ml
    • nitrate reading = < 10 mg/ml

ok so I have a nitrate issued, beside biomax any recommendations

No new fish, plants or inverts were added recently.

Feeding habit / diet
    feed 3 to 4 cubes of Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms with Spinach a day, occasionally will use Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms "Bio-Pigment Plus instead of the spinach.

Registered Member

Where are the fish from?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevsDiscus View Post
    Where are the fish from?
    local breeder in new jersey, he get his discus from the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand.
    Last edited by adeer; 06-02-2017 at 12:29 AM.

So you had 5 fish year and a half old 3"-4"? Then added some 1"? No qt?

If fish are only 3-4" after a year I would have to guess something is wrong with wc schedule. If you added these new fish without qt you may also have a cross contamination issue
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    So you had 5 fish year and a half old 3"-4"? Then added some 1"? No qt?

If fish are only 3-4" after a year I would have to guess something is wrong with wc schedule. If you added these new fish without qt you may also have a cross contamination issue
    The reason there are only 3.5 to 4" after a year and a few month is because last year i had my kitchen renovation (tanks are in the living room, which is right across from the kitchen) and they stopped/ barely eat from 2 month, due to all the banging and commotion.

the 1 to 1.5 where added weeks before, dont think cross contamination take that long.

Real Name
    Mervin

The treatment you are trying will not work and may make things worse.Throw out those tree extracts and get yourself some real antibiotics.Magnesium will have no effect on the slime coat;only good for constipation/to increase bowel function;sodium chloride is better for skin conditions.A broad spectrum antibiotic and lower the heat in this cause.That is what I would do.

Registered Member

thank you bluelagoon for your suggestion , and i wanted to used sodium chloride but at that time i didnt have it, that the reason i used epsom salt.

update
    skin is better, is less active tho think its related to the temp. So i am going to bring down the temp to match it with the other tank , and final stated to eat.
    but does anyone have recommendation/suggestion which mite increase his diet, i know its going to come with time tho.