ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New 120 Gallon Discus Tank Water Quality Questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mara

Default New 120 Gallon Discus Tank Water Quality Questions

Hello all! I am new to discus keeping and have been reading everything I possibly can before buying my fish. I was hoping I could learn some things by posting my plan and seeing what the experts can tell me to do/not do. I am extremely concerned with making sure my water quality is good. Nothing is set in stone yet and I am open to all advice from the experienced - thank you!

-Already set up:
    - 120 Gallon 5 feet long, Temp 84*, Bubbler, Sand substrate, fake plants, drift wood, red moor root, 1 almond leaf, 6 Corys. 2 heaters, 2 HOB Aquaclear 110 filters. Already cycled.

-Plan:
    -Add 15-20 cardinal tetra, wait 3 weeks, add 8 discus from Discus Hans
    -Daily water changes of 25-30%

-Should I go with 3 inch or 4 inch discus for my first time? I understand the smaller ones will require more frequent water changes/feedings.
    -Is my planned water change schedule sufficient?
    -My tap water runs 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, pH of 7.8 – aging does not change pH – is it ok to fill with Python straight from tap at adjusted temp? Should I be concerned with micro bubbles?
    -Do I need a UV Sterilizer?

Any other pieces of advice plz throw it in!

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: New 120 Gallon Discus Tank Water Quality Questions

Welcome!! You are like the tenth person this week I've had the pleasure to congratulate for coming here before they get discus. I wish I was so fortunate !!!

So far your plan sounds decent. How deep is your sand bed? How were the current filters cycled ?

What are your water params currently in the tank? You have tested the tap water and aged I 24 hrs w an air stone and re tested it? If that's the case and you have no swings you can match the temp and do direct from tap water changes.

Sounds like you have a lot of decor. Is there swimming room and all? Are the fake plants rough or sharp in anyway same
    For the wood ?

Size of discus is a very personal thing and depends on your wants and budget. Some folks love seeing the fish grow and like to buy smaller they are also cheaper. Some prefer to let others do the hard work and pay more for grown fish.

Bigger is always better for newbies because they are usually healthier and more developed and able to fight disease better.

Since you are new I'd buy the biggest you can afford go to 5" if possible.

Your water change would do much better at 50% or higher. But again depends on the size of the fish your feeding schedule and the bio load.

Lastly. Folks will tell you that you will already take a risk adding discus because you have cories in there already. If you add cardinals then discus. Well now you have doubled your chances of cross contamination. This is something to consider and takeinto account.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Welcome!! You are like the tenth person this week I've had the pleasure to congratulate for coming here before they get discus. I wish I was so fortunate !!!

So far your plan sounds decent. How deep is your sand bed? How were the current filters cycled ?

What are your water params currently in the tank? You have tested the tap water and aged I 24 hrs w an air stone and re tested it? If that's the case and you have no swings you can match the temp and do direct from tap water changes.

Sounds like you have a lot of decor. Is there swimming room and all? Are the fake plants rough or sharp in anyway same
    For the wood ?

Size of discus is a very personal thing and depends on your wants and budget. Some folks love seeing the fish grow and like to buy smaller they are also cheaper. Some prefer to let others do the hard work and pay more for grown fish.

Bigger is always better for newbies because they are usually healthier and more developed and able to fight disease better.

Since you are new I'd buy the biggest you can afford go to 5" if possible.

Your water change would do much better at 50% or higher. But again depends on the size of the fish your feeding schedule and the bio load.

Lastly. Folks will tell you that you will already take a risk adding discus because you have cories in there already. If you add cardinals then discus. Well now you have doubled your chances of cross contamination. This is something to consider and takeinto account.
    +1 to everything Philip has said.

To your other two questions. Micro bubbles...possibly. o do straight tap water changes. In the winter I have to use a micron sock on the end of my python. Summer time I do not.

UV is not needed but is a benefit when used properly. If you do do your research. Stay away from these gimmicky 6w or 9w sterilizers.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

I know that your tank is cycled but after you add the Discus you should up your WC because there will be a significant bio-load added to the tank. Phil said that but I wanted to emphasize it. Go for 50% daily for 2 weeks and then cut down slowly to your 25% to 30%. Watch the Discus.

I suggest that you go with the larger fish just because you are new. Older Discus are more tolerant of screw ups than younger ones. I've been around since God made dirt and I've made mistakes.

Everyone will tell you that you should not introduce Discus to a tank with existing fish that might carry disease. They are correct. But in my years with Discus my experience has been that it is Discus that introduce disease to other fish, not the other way around. You did well to choose Hansie. Stendker fish carry no devastating diseases.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

From someone who started a 55 gallon with 6 2.5" fish almost 6 months ago i will say that you are lucky to have found this site so early. As for advice and criticism i will allow others with more experience help you out. USE THIS WEBSITE FOR ALL OF YOUR DISCUS NEEDS. I was unfortunately told about Simply Discus after purchasing my fish from a non-sponsor in Washington From the people to the platform this site is amazing for all things discus. Make friends, learn lots and have fun!
    -Kev

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mara

WOW I walk away for a few hours and come back to tons of advice. Thank you all 

Phillydubs: After researching a little more I believe my sand beds are currently too deep – 3 inches, probably should be closer to .5 or 1 inch, correct?
    Current filters were cycled with fish in method – the cories. After reading more, was probably not the greatest but all 6 are alive after 1.5 months. Figured I would add the cardinals and wait until past the 2 month mark before introducing Discus (is this enough cycling time?).
    Current tank parameters are very low/non-existent ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, still 7.8 pH. Very similar to tap. Yes the aged, aerated water was the same pH (I am very lucky!)
    I believe there is enough swimming room but I can absolutely take out some drift wood to give more – attached image of my tank so you can tell me what you think  You can see the plants here as well.
    Definitely can do bigger water changes. Financially I’m open to buying bigger discus but my biggest hesitation with buying 5 inch discus is that I’ll make some grave newbie mistake and they will all die soon after purchasing. Don’t think I’m confident enough to start out with that big of an investment! Will probably go with the 4 inch for my first batch since they are slightly hardier than 3 inch but not as much work.

Ryan925: Great idea! Will invest in a micron sock and also do more research on UV Sterilizer.

LizStreithorst: Great point about the bioload difference up front – didn’t think of that! Will adjust WC schedule as you suggested.
    I have been heavily contemplating just what you had brought up about adding Discus to other fish. I’m thinking about de-worming my current tank before adding the Discus and also waiting 3 weeks after introducing the Cardinals to make sure they don’t have anything. Both Cories and Cardinals will be from same LFS. Obviously my main concern will be for the Discus. Any other suggestions to lower my risk when adding these fish?
    Discus Tank JPG.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Well for starters, your tank looks like crap!!!

Real Name
    Phil

I kid!!! I kid! Honestly, I was expecting it more jibbered up with decor and what not, it looks rather open and nice. Those plants to me are an eye sore and are probably a rough hard plastic that will not play nice with your discus and its scales. If you desire the look, they make some very real life silk plants? Again, this is very personal, if you dig it, by all means, your tank, your eye, it is within the beholder.

If the sand bed is 3" you are correct in wanting to cut that by at least 1/2 to an inch an a half or so... Make sure you siphon it and mix it with your water changes, it will keep the sand cleaner and nicer looking, break up air pockets and kick up all the garbage hiding.

I understand your concern with the bigger discus and the $. Again, you have to come to your best decision. You wouldn't go wrong with 4" but if you step to 5" it's def a nice uptick. And guess what? YOU ARENT GOING TO KILL THEM.

You already seem very well versed, receptive to ideas and your water seems good to go and you are ready to take on the WC challenge so there you go all set...

I also said what I said the PC way... many of us risk QT or believe things as mama bear said, and she may be right. Thankfully, I haven't had many issues, but then again I have had my issues. You just need to go with your gut at the end of the day after you have weighed the advice here.
    Last edited by Phillydubs; 06-02-2017 at 04:25 PM.

And to add to Liz, When you do water changes, use Prime, Amaquel or some other product that will reduce ammonia.It will help until the BB(beneficial bacteria) catch up.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mara

Phillydubs: My heart sank when I saw your first comment - I thought "OH NO, the discus experts hate it!!!" haha but glad to hear I'm at least somewhat on the right track. Definitely agree the natural looking plants might be better, might play around with those. I do hear you about the 5" discus... will think it over some more, you have given me a little boost of confidence!!

Thank you, Neptune - I picked up some Prime

Thanks all so much for your advice - very excited to jump into the discus world!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMara View Post
    Phillydubs: My heart sank when I saw your first comment - I thought "OH NO, the discus experts hate it!!!" haha but glad to hear I'm at least somewhat on the right track. Definitely agree the natural looking plants might be better, might play around with those. I do hear you about the 5" discus... will think it over some more, you have given me a little boost of confidence!!

Thank you, Neptune - I picked up some Prime

Thanks all so much for your advice - very excited to jump into the discus world!!
    Phil an expert? Are you kidding?? Lol I'm the one kidding.

I too think your tank looks great. Have you tried removing just the plant decorations and see how you like it? I think it would look really nice, clean and natural. I had a tank full of real plants but now just sand and wood.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

For plants, you can have them potted. They look 100% better than plastic plant imo.
    My little suggestion is to add a pre-filler to the filer intake. I found it helpful to keep my canister cleaner so I don't have to clean it as often as without it.

Real Name
    Phil

I missed this ! Lolol def a good laugh! Haha... yea I am by no means an expert just sharing my own personal experience and opinions. Ryan is the guy you want to listen to! He actually listens and learns unlike me!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by xxalanxx View Post
    For plants, you can have them potted. They look 100% better than plastic plant imo.
    My little suggestion is to add a pre-filler to the filer intake. I found it helpful to keep my canister cleaner so I don't have to clean it as often as without it.
    +1 to both of these, I potted some plants and put them in with my guys and also I cant say enough good things about a prefilters, I jerry rigged the EIHIEM one onto my FLuval 406 and I have opened the canister twice, each at 1 month intervals - you can hardly tell its even been used it stays so clean in there! I clean the prefilter daily.