ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: In the process of setting up new tank

Real Name
    Scott

Default In the process of setting up new tank

I got a new 75 gallon. I have a bag of fluval biomax in my fx4 to seed the new 75 for about a month. If I add that to my new fx6 can I add my discus in a week?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: In the process of setting up new tank

Hey Scott, sounds like a fun new adventure planned... What is the actual plan going to be for it?

What is in the other tank that you would be seeding from have in it? As always you can risk cross contam from a current set-up to the new one and fish...

Real Name
    Scott

I plan to have 7 discus 3.5 to 4 inches. White sand, driftwood and lightly planted with amazon swords. The other tank is 60 gallon with rainbowfish, angelfish, corys, siamese algae eater, flagfish, and gold and german blue rams.

Real Name
    Phil

Sounds good scott...

Like I said, the only issue or gripe some folks may say is that you open yourself up by seeding with the other filter. Most would say take the time and wait it out and naturally cycle the tank fishfree to give yourself the best sterile environment.

That being said, people seed all the time and cross over. Some have issues some don't. I personally have done it both ways with mixed results, it is all trial and error really and where you want to go and gamble.

Others may say because the seeded filter has no other discus the chance off passing is less... again these are all what ifs that you need to weigh

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Sounds good scott...

Like I said, the only issue or gripe some folks may say is that you open yourself up by seeding with the other filter. Most would say take the time and wait it out and naturally cycle the tank fishfree to give yourself the best sterile environment.

That being said, people seed all the time and cross over. Some have issues some don't. I personally have done it both ways with mixed results, it is all trial and error really and where you want to go and gamble.

Others may say because the seeded filter has no other discus the chance off passing is less... again these are all what ifs that you need to weigh

Is it a gamble even if the fish are healthy?

Real Name
    Phil

Yes, because they may appear healthy and be tolerant or living fine with something that could be lethal to other, fish, especially difference. It's tricky as all F if you catch my drift and I would be the wrong one to explain it to you.. Maybe one of the smart folks here will chime in

But basically the current set up you have may be blissful as is. But that bacteria could hurt your discus, so by ,moving all the media, you are now putting your discus in a seeded tank of bad bacteria to them. Again, this is only a possibility not a definite.

Since you haven't ordered fish, if you want to really speed it up, ask the breeder or importer for a seeded sponge that the discus have been housed in. Or, some folks even cycle with the discus and just do big daily water changes or twice a day to keep the params in check until the filter builds up enough bio to cut back.

Real Name
    Scott

Would you risk it?

Real Name
    Phil

Can't answer that my friend, it is really your call. I don't have enough info, know the fish, etc...

Have I risked it...? Sure...

Would I again? Doubtful, I'd prob go the lesser of the evils and cycle w the discus or seed it with a discus used sponge...

Real Name
    Scott

Maybe the ladies at Chicago Discus will send a sponge with my order.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Thats a good idea to speed things along. People will cycle there tanks with discus in. Just be sure to be diligent with your large daily wcs and use a product like prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    This is the best idea and they will do so, I have no doubt!

They are great and Miranda will hook you up for sure! Tell her I said so! LOL!

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    This is the best idea and they will do so, I have no doubt!

They are great and Miranda will hook you up for sure! Tell her I said so! LOL!
    Haha thanks! I will!

Real Name
    Phil

What are you planning to order from them?

I am a repeat customer there and have had some of my fave fish come via those ladies, good choice!

Just my two cents, I too have a 75gallon set up very similar to what you are doing. I first started out with the same size fish(3-4") from Chicago Discus. To no fault of theirs I lost 5 of 6 fish. Started the tank with a seeded sponge from another tank and bingo, health issues started. Since then I have learned a lot from this site and Miranda. After thorough cleaning and new filters, I cycled the natural way and went back with eight 5.5"-6" fish. Knock on wood its been smooth sailing for the last 6 months. I prefer the larger fish as they don't require as much food intake and therefore cuts down on waste. I do 70% water changes every other day with wipe down and alternate my two Eheim canisters cleaning once a month, filters off during feeding. Just my experience, hope it helps.

Real Name
    Scott

Thanks for all the help! Miranda from Chicago discus said she will give me a cycled sponge from one of their tanks!