ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching all about Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: Researching all about Discus

Thanks Ryan, I only have a 55 gal so they said about 5 or 6 for me. I have picked out four of his so far. Red pearl turq, Red eagle, neon sapphire, and maybe a Penang Eruption. I was wondering if you could tell me the strains that you have posted on 4/5/17 . I love the one in the sixth photo. You have some beautiful fish!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by koiman61 View Post
    Thanks Ryan, I only have a 55 gal so they said about 5 or 6 for me. I have picked out four of his so far. Red pearl turq, Red eagle, neon sapphire, and maybe a Penang Eruption. I was wondering if you could tell me the strains that you have posted on 4/5/17 . I love the one in the sixth photo. You have some beautiful fish!!
    Hi Mark, instead of reposting Ryan's posts you can click on the "Reply With Quote" at the bottom right of Ryan's post and then add your post to it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hey Mark. That sounds like a nice mix so far. I love the red eagle. That was one I really wanted but missed out.

I'm not sure which post you are referring to but if you comment on it I can find it and let you know. I do have a neon sapphire and an eruption.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Sorry Pat I thought that is what i have been doing, Thank you will try it

Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

The post was on 4/5/17 It have about 6 photos of your fish on there. They are awesome btw!! Just was wondering what strains they were. I am thinking on using sand as a substrate, I have read most people use pool sand, is any brand the best to use? How deep should it be? Hope you are having a great week. Thanks again for the help.

Mark

The post was on 4/5/17 It have about 6 photos of your fish on there. They are awesome btw!! Just was wondering what strains they were. I am thinking on using sand as a substrate, I have read most people use pool sand, is any brand the best to use? How deep should it be? Hope you are having a great week. Thanks again for the help.

Mark
    Thanks very much Mark. I'll see if I can find it and let you know the strain.

Pool filter sand is what you will want. No particular brand is necessary as long as it's a #20 silica sand. Rinse very well before adding to tank. Sand should not be very deep. About 1/2" is plenty. I used one bag in my 75. There are many different pool filter sands. Some are more of a tan. Some are more white. I got mine at ace hardware. It is more white than the standard pool filter sand I had laying around.

Ok found it. That one is a tiger Carnation turq. I really like the newer tiger turqs I am seeing with the vertical striations
    Last edited by Ryan925; 06-06-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hello Ryan I just got my inkbird controller can you give me any suggestions on how to set it up the best way? Thanks Hope all is well .

Mark

Hello Ryan I just got my inkbird controller can you give me any suggestions on how to set it up the best way? Thanks Hope all is well .

Mark
    Did you get the model with the heating and cooling plugs or two heating?

How many heaters ?

You can run it one of two ways.

One would be to set your heaters higher than desired temp and allow the controller and power them off and on

Second (my preference) is to use it as a failsafe. I like to set my heaters to heat to my set temp. Then if a heater fails and temp rises the controller would kill power to them until temp drops.

Important thing is calibrating the probe. Use multiple other ways of testing temp and average if close to calibrate your prove to proper temp.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Ok thanks Ryan. I heard from Kenny. Seems to be a guy that cares and wants you to do well. FYI He did not contact me right away because his dad past away, wanted you to know just in case you wanted to send him an email. He has been helpful so far. Thank you very much Ryan you are one of few that take the time to help

Mark

Ok thanks Ryan. I heard from Kenny. Seems to be a guy that cares and wants you to do well. FYI He did not contact me right away because his dad past away, wanted you to know just in case you wanted to send him an email. He has been helpful so far. Thank you very much Ryan you are one of few that take the time to help

Mark
    Hey man no problem. I actually sent Kenny an email yesterday but thank you for mentioning. You will not find another person that truly cares as much as Kenny and is so selfless

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hello Ryan when you have some time could you help me calibrate the controller looked at some videos but they dont talk about it much.

Thanks Mark

Hello Ryan when you have some time could you help me calibrate the controller looked at some videos but they dont talk about it much.

Thanks Mark
    Hey Mark what I did was use two different digit thermometers and see how they compared to what the inkbird prob was reading. All were within a couple degrees of each other so I just took the average and calibrated accordingly

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hey Ryan how often do you do a water change and how much of the water do you change out with your set up?

Thanks Mark

Hey Ryan how often do you do a water change and how much of the water do you change out with your set up?

Thanks Mark
    Hey Mark I do 80% every other day. That's what works for me but it is different for everyone. Obviously the mode the better if you are starting with smaller fish. It really is going to depend on your setup. Stocking levels, size of fish etc will dictate frequency of wc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast