ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Researching all about Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Re: Researching all about Discus

Hello Ryan, Thanks again for your help, you have been awesome. So will need to test the water once i get the fish to see what it is after they are in the tank.
    I have the 308 controller, the one with with both heating and cooling outlets. I set the high alarm to 86 and the low at 80 is that ok?

Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by koiman61 View Post
    Hello Ryan, Thanks again for your help, you have been awesome. So will need to test the water once i get the fish to see what it is after they are in the tank.
    I have the 308 controller, the one with with both heating and cooling outlets. I set the high alarm to 86 and the low at 80 is that ok?

Thanks Mark
    Testing the water won't tell you how much water to change. I mean it sort of gives an idea because nitrate is one thing we are concerned about but there are other things, that contribute to poor water quality, that we don't measure.

As far as alarms go that sounds good to me. 82-84 is recommended range. I keep my tank 82.5

If you are running two heaters make sure and get an outlet splitter and plug them both into the heating plug
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Dont want to sound stupid but what should I look for to make sure I have good water quality?

Quote Originally Posted by koiman61 View Post
    Dont want to sound stupid but what should I look for to make sure I have good water quality?
    Mostly your fish will tell you. That's why it's always tough as a new discus keeper since you don't pick up on the small signs.

Obviously 0 ammonia and nitrite and nitrates as low as possible. Preferably below 10.

Just keep it in your mind the more fresh water you give these fish the better results you will have. The smaller the fish the more they require to get proper growth.

What size fish do you plan on? How many? Where from?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

One of the people said to get six, I have a 55 gal, plan on 4-5" from Kenny most likely, everyone on here seems to be very happy with him. So far the water has been good, everything at 0 the nitrate less than 5. The water here has a little nitrate in it so been mixing about 50/50 with ro. pH has been 7.4 - 7.5.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123