ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 265g wild

Registered Member

Default My 265g wild

Just thought I would post pictures of my 265 wild tank. All fish from discus origins Ocala Florida

Registered Member

Default Re: My 265g wild

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

man those are some bad pictures time to use a real camera

Quote Originally Posted by fishermn7 View Post
    man those are some bad pictures time to use a real camera
    I keep saying same thing to myself! Regardless, I like it. Is the trunk on right cut flush on the back? I like where you're going with wood set up. Almost wonder how it'd look with both pulled fwd although I know roots would only allow so much. Nice, boss
    -Elliot

Would definitely love to see some better pics showing off those fish. That big tree trunk is really cool though
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Pics are poor, but fish look nice. I also love the Trunk i the tank. What are your water parameters, water changing regime, filtration and what do you fed them?

Real Name
    Phil

Very pretty natural set up.

I too would like more info and details !

Registered Member

The trunks are not flush to the back, I thought about doing that and for whatever reason I didn't I left enough space to clean behind them. The sand is pool filter sand, right now I'm just using my finnex 24/7 as a light set on the lowest white light setting hoping to upgrade to a kessil tuna sun in the future. What I wanted to replicate was the subdued lighting that I imagine these fish lived in wild. I vac the substrate daily which ends up with me changing about 45 gallons a day which isn't much for a daily I change 125 gallons per week usually mid week. They eat pretty much everything I feed them prime reef flake, aquatic suppliers black worm pellets, piscine energetics pe pellets , fdbw which I have gotten away from as well as frozen mysis and an occasionally treat of bloodworms which is rare. My water is a steady 7.6 from the tap, when I started these fish were in a bare 90 while I learned and observed the wilds which I never kept before, I was using 50/50 tap RO but I quickly realized I was burning through media quickly so I gradually conditioned them to my tap water, so far no issues with health and I feel they are much easier to care for than some of the domestics I have kept in the past. Filtration is a wet dry with bio balls and a couple bags of ceramic that I like to keep in my filter for extra bio and for hospital/Qt purposes. Dual rio return pumps , dual stage aqualogic controller and that's it pretty basic, my thinking right now is clean water and proper nutrition are the key as with any discus I have enjoyed these fish much more than past domestics watching them forage around the stumps and roots is a real joy to watch and I hope to acquire more when the season kicks back up, hopefully discus origins will not disappoint ! I know they won't! Would like to have a total of 15 at some point slow and steady wins the race. Thanks y'all

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

Some pics from when they were in the 90

I like the look of your tank. Your setup sound nice and simple as well.

As far as lighting goes I think a tuna sun would be such a waste on this tank. The beauty of the tuna sun is the amazing shimmer that it produces but in a wild tank, with subdued lighting, I don't think you'd get any benefit out of it for it's use. You would need more than one also

You might want to look at a more programmable led. I too use a 24/7. It was great when my tank was planted but without plants not so much. That light is also such a waste using it on a custom color.

I'd check into the satellite pro plus. I have one on my newly started planted and love it. You can program any day spectrum you want and set the photo period. It will then do a 15 min ramp up and down for sunrise and sunset and also allow you to set your night spectrum.

Just my .02
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast