AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40 Gallon Patio Pond Journal

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: 40 Gallon Patio Pond Journal

It worked! Now I believe you! Hahaha....! Really sweet set-up there, looks so pretty

Real Name
    Ryan

This is great Jacklyn! Ive been doing something similar for a few years and i keep adding sections. now im up to a 4 section 350g system. well done! I added lights this year, but am curious where you got ones with remote? Hope this continues so nicely for you, as i know you'll love it and only want it to get bigger, lol.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    This is great Jacklyn! Ive been doing something similar for a few years and i keep adding sections. now im up to a 4 section 350g system. well done! I added lights this year, but am curious where you got ones with remote? Hope this continues so nicely for you, as i know you'll love it and only want it to get bigger, lol.
    Ryan I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says you can submerse the battery pack, but I have my battery pack dangling off the side of the pond emersed. I got two strands but only have one in there so far. couldn't be happier, they have a timer and a dimmer on the remote.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Ryan I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says you can submerse the battery pack, but I have my battery pack dangling off the side of the pond emersed. I got two strands but only have one in there so far. couldn't be happier, they have a timer and a dimmer on the remote.
    Awesome. Thank you, Jacklyn.

Real Name
    Ryan

ever thought of adding a small 10g vaccum tank to it?it makes an awesome viewing window for when the fish swim up in it and adds to the total volume. its ultra easy and only requires a 10g tank.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

actually yes ryan, ive been watching all types of videos on how these are done, I don't think a 10gal would be good because it would take up so much surface area but maybe a smaller glass dome or something
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Jacklyn

mid july update:
    HOLY PLANT GROWTH!!! Ive had to thin out water lettuce probably 4 times now. It now floats in my discus show tank, my 46 gallon bowfront, and in random buckets outside that I use to catch rain and mosquito larvae. Ive also found some (what I think to be) salvinia growing in two tubs. It must have hitchhiked in with the water lettuce or hyacinth that I bought originally. It looks really pretty I hope it takes off. The goldfish are well trained to come to the surface and eat, my niece likes to splash in the water and ties to pick up a goldfish often, she is three and is kind of clumsy but has managed to touch a goldfish a couple times. one thing I really like is the way a water hyacinth leaf looks close up. it almost looks paint brush strokes.
    7-8-17a.jpg7-8-17b.jpeg
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ryan

Looking great. Nice lush lil gazing pond. I love it

Very nice.And it is addicting.Heres my thread on 125 gal pond to about 5000gal. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ver&highlight=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Looking very sweet Jacklyn. We had a small pond that we built into the deck. We had it planted with a Lily, some water grasses and Hyacinth. In warm weather you will probably be hauling the hyacinth out by the armload and tossing it. They multiply rapidly in the heat.

We finally gave up on our pond after losing too many fish to animals. Once the heron spotted them they were goners. He ate some that I had grown for 7+ years and had reproduced in the pond. Once we realized if we put a wire around the perimeter so it could no longer wade in and gave up. Then came the raccoon. The morning I got up and saw the signature piles of scales from him cleaning his catch I was done with fish. The three that remained are being re-homed to a friend's pond that has not had animal invaders.

As far as wintering over. In Rochester it gets pretty cold and the pond could freeze solid so we would bring them into the garage or sun room where the temps are cold but not enough to freeze the bins solid. As long as they are under 50 degrees there is no need to feed them and they do not need aeration. They hibernate. No food, no waste, no cleaning. In the spring as the weather warmed we would do small water changes and once above 55 degrees give them cool weather pond fish food which is easier to digest. Once safe from freezing they would go right back in after a thorough pond cleaning. Yours will be much easier at 40 gallons.

Here is an early stage pic before it was planted and a pic of the heron on the roof of the sun room taken through a second story window. I could not believe how brave he was.
    Pond1.jpg

Enjoy yours! It is beautiful.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    mid july update:
    HOLY PLANT GROWTH!!! Ive had to thin out water lettuce probably 4 times now. It now floats in my discus show tank, my 46 gallon bowfront, and in random buckets outside that I use to catch rain and mosquito larvae. Ive also found some (what I think to be) salvinia growing in two tubs. It must have hitchhiked in with the water lettuce or hyacinth that I bought originally. It looks really pretty I hope it takes off. The goldfish are well trained to come to the surface and eat, my niece likes to splash in the water and ties to pick up a goldfish often, she is three and is kind of clumsy but has managed to touch a goldfish a couple times. one thing I really like is the way a water hyacinth leaf looks close up. it almost looks paint brush strokes.
    7-8-17a.jpg7-8-17b.jpeg
    Looks really nice. Is the water lily putting up any buds yet?

Real Name
    Filip

I jump in late on this thread Jacklyn but I just wanted to say that your little pond is very interesting addition to your Patio .

I only wish and wonder if you could somehow manage to seal a glass on one side of the pond to have the pleasure of watching the fish swimming through the glass .
    Have you ever asked if its doable or not ?

I wonder about your temperature too.Does it goes above 100 F on a summer days when the sun hits it directly ?

Congrats on your idea Jacklyn .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by EJ_B View Post
    Looks really nice. Is the water lily putting up any buds yet?
    no buds yet EJ. I am not sure if it gets enough sun to flower. we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I jump in late on this thread Jacklyn but I just wanted to say that your little pond is very interesting addition to your Patio .

I only wish and wonder if you could somehow manage to seal a glass on one side of the pond to have the pleasure of watching the fish swimming through the glass .
    Have you ever asked if its doable or not ?

I wonder about your temperature too.Does it goes above 100 F on a summer days when the sun hits it directly ?

Congrats on your idea Jacklyn .
    Filip, I don't think sealing a glass piece would work at all, this thing is made of recycled rubber so it is too flexible and bendy to do that I would think. I have thought of creating a vacuum dome on top though but just haven't done it. I put the pond on my side porch facing south for a reason. This side of my house only gets morning sun until about 1130, after that its in the full shade all day and all afternoon. This may be the reason I'm not seeing as many blooms on my flowers as I could, but it also means the water stays cooler. Its been well above 90 several days in a row now and the water is still cool to the touch.
    ~JACKLYN~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123