ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Waterchange pump question

Registered Member

Default Waterchange pump question

Just picked up a 150 gallon tank and I'm looking for some water saving techniques. I've always used a python with running water to empty my tank. I want to switch to a pump to save water. I have a march pump for beer brewing that can pump 6 gallons a minute and would love to make this work. My issue is my stinking fish love swimming into my python not my discus but gbr's and rummy's. How can I stop this?Ive heard mesh or sponge but won't the force of the pump just suck the fish against the sponge or mesh?

Registered Member

Default Re: Waterchange pump question

how is the tank filtered? if this isnt an option then you could always plumb a long hose with many holes. the more area that pulls water the less pulling any one point will produce. kinda like a output spray bar on canister filters, except youd want it larger with more holes that are small.
    Last edited by Dalfan039; 06-06-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

6 gpm = 360 gph, which is not really that fast, both of my canisters pulled water at that rate. Just use a prefilter sponge.

Registered Member

Yah I used it today and it was much weaker than I thought...pumps 15 gallons of beer fast, 150 gallons of aquarium water...not so much. I have a fluvel fx6 so I guess I'll just run the pump on the drain valve so I don't have to watch my Tetras. Next task is finding a vaccum that works on the 30" height my eheim powered vac is way to short��...the joys of finally getting a monster tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Smudge

I had to make a vac for my tank being 28" deep. I use a cheap powerhead, some tubing to a food container which is drilled both ends and some more tubing to the depth of tank. Filter foam in container. Looks a bit bodged but works better than any I've bought that now live in my cupboard of silly ideas....it's a very full cupboard!