AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 110gal Rimless

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Default 110gal Rimless

Hello Simply! This build has been in my head for about 6 years, and it's finally gotten off the ground so I wanted to share. My goal for this tank was to keep everything simple and clean, so I'll try to do the same for this thread and just let the photos do the talking.

The tank is a 110gal rimless, 4'x2' footprint. I purchased it as a scratch&dent item from ThatPetPlace in Lancaster, PA. It was a floor model and it has one small scratch in the glass, which saved me about 50% off the sticker price. The stand was purchased from www.glasscages.com.

I went back and forth about putting a lid on it, and decided that I would do something simple to set on the top overnight or when I'm going to be out of the house for extended periods. I purchased a 1/4" thick piece of acrylic and cut out holes for the pipes as well as a center hole for my driftwood. It is crystal clear, but it fogs up from the warm water.

I chose an Eheim 1200XLT for filtration so that I wouldn't have to worry about ugly heaters in the tank, or about setting up inline heaters. I purchased this filter on here from frankr408 THREE YEARS AGO and I only just got to start using it.

I wanted attractive pipes, and found these stainless steel ones on Amazon. They were sold in pairs, but my filter has two intakes and one output. I contacted the seller to see if they would split up a pair, and they just offered to sell me the second set at 50% off!

Here's a video of the pipes in action. The output creates great movement on the surface, and I just think they look fantastic.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2w...ew?usp=sharing

For lighting I purchased two 36" led fixtures from Current USA as sold here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Some info from the box:

I purchased a 36" reptile tank lid to use as a frame, and just wired the two fixtures into it. I got a simple light fixture hanging kit off of amazon, and voila! For being 100% jerry-rigged, I think it looks pretty great.

And here is a video of the whole tank, with my one lonely discus left over from a previous project. The decor is simple and open, for better focus on the fish. The white clouds are not permanent residents - they are just maintaining the bio-filter for me right now.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2w...ew?usp=sharing

The stars of the show will be 7 Stendker Tefes which I just picked up from Hans on Saturday. They are only 3 inches, and currently residing in a 40gal breeder so I can quarantine and grow them up a little more before transferring to the display tank. I'm still undecided about tank mates for them besides my big old Turk. Here's a video of my new babies!https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2w...ew?usp=sharing

And a photo of my lonely bachelor. He was part of a pair that I put in a 40gal tank when I had zero discus experience, but I lost the other one a few years ago. I didn't have space or funds to get him more friends until now. He's done surprisingly well as a solo discus.

The overall view of my dining room:

Dog Tax: (He thinks discus are boring.)

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: 110gal Rimless

Well, shall I say welcome back?? Hahah!~ Talk about a return with Gusto!!

That tank is gorgeous! And you did an awesome job with swift to the point explanations! I could learn a thing or two from you! HAHA!

I ALWAYS LOVED THAT OPEN TOP LOOK, THE WHITE STAND AND ALL, VERY SLEEK, SEXY AND ATTRACTIVE!

Good plan in place, sounds like you have learned and grown a lot and can apply all that to this new adventure...

My only real suggestion or issue would be mixing the group with the solo discus. I am sure you are attached to him, sick of maintaining a solo tank, and many other reasons . I just personally feel that tank with the strain you chose as a single strain will be stunning, adding the singled out bright patterned fish may just look off or strange.

Again, your tank, your fish and all just giving my opinion . Either way its a bute and can't wait to see the fish grow and get in there!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Lol yes I completely agree about my Turk being all wrong for this tank, but I'm too sentimental. He was a Valentine's Day gift from my husband when we were first dating. Hopefully at some point I can set up a different living situation for him, but it just isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks so much your feedback!

Real Name
    Phil

Hey! I totally get it and figured as much! I respect your call either way!

Any chance to keep him alone in the 40? Or maybe try and find a proven mate for him?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Maybe at some point, yes. Once the Stendkers are grown out I need to break down the 40 and reseal it if I'm going to keep it running. The silicone is in really bad shape. But that's always an option. He's already about 6 years old, so worst case scenario I'll have my single strain show tank in 4yrs or so

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Nice start up! Looks like a good setup and a nice tank size.

Very nice looking tank and very nice turq
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

So this guy looks like he got spooked and hurt himself. Any advice for how to help that tear in his fin heal up? Maybe some Melafix or salt? Or should I just go about business as usual and keep the water clean?

Real Name
    Phil

Pure clean water and good water changes and that will heal up in no time. Very very minor

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Pure clean water and good water changes and that will heal up in no time. Very very minor
    +1 it's amazing what large daily wcs will do. I came home to one of my fish headstanding one evening. I noticed she had a big chunk out of her forehead. Must have just happened because within a few hours she was upright and within a week there was no evidence the wound was ever there.

What you are seeing is very minor and will be common with the fish fighting and what not. I see split pectoral fins from fighting now and again
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Lots of clean water it is then. I had a feeling that might be the answer . These are the smallest grow-outs I've tried before and it really is astounding how sensitive they are to the water quality. Three nights ago my dog cornered a skunk right outside the back door, and with all THAT drama I skipped a water change. You could see the difference in the fish's behavior like night and day. 24hrs they'll be all happy, up to 36 they are so-so, and after that they are sad and lethargic. It's unlike anything I've ever seen with any other kind of fish.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very good tank

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Nice start up! Looks like a good setup and a nice tank size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Very nice looking tank and very nice turq
    Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Very good tank
    Thank you all for the kind words!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

It's been about 36hrs and that little fin tear has already closed up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

I'm going to start doing a video every week to track the growth of my Stendkers. Today is one week and one day since I brought them home. In the video you'll see one fish who stands out because he is much more orange looking than the others. He also has yellow eyes. This is the boss of the tank. He's a little pig and eats twice his share of food. I've done ~95% water changes 5 out of the 7 days I've had them. I'm using water out of the tap with a python, adding dechlorinator straight to the tank. My tap water comes out at pH 6.7 and there is no swing, so I don't worry about aging. I'm feeding Hans's beef heart mix 2 or 3 times daily, plus Tetra Color bits when I'm in a hurry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast