ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How to clean the poop!

Registered Member

Default How to clean the poop!

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I thought poop impacted water so it could go here!

I am a new member and looking to buy my discus very soon. Currently I have a 125g tank with 50 cardinal tetras, 3 rams, 1 pleco, 5 cories and 5 ottos. I plan to stock with 8-10 discus.

One of the last things I am working on before purchasing the discus is keeping the tank clean, specifically how to handle the poop.

• I siphon the sand when I WC but this seems to do nothing as far as picking up the poop, it's like the siphon is not strong enough or the poop too heavy to get it out.
    • I have tried to stir it up by fanning the water above it and then scooping with a net, but this does not get everything.
    • I've tried to use a turkey baster, which works for where I have a "poop collection" spot ok, but it is not realistic to turkey baste a whole 125g tank!
    • I have power heads pointed towards my filter intake, I thought this would push the poop there and it would get sucked up by the filter but once again, it is too heavy and doesn't go in the filter intake.

I have a sponge filter I just bought that I will install this weekend, would that do anything? Any other tips? (Get rid of the pleco ?)

My nitrates don't seem to rise too much too fast but I read that the poop will still bother the discus so I want to learn how to control it before I buy them.

Thanks!
    -Kristen

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: How to clean the poop!

Remove the larger plastic end from the siphon and use just the hose when removing larger waste. Just hover above and there will be more suction. Note: you will suck up some sand if not careful and may have to eventually replace after a while. That is the trade-off when using sand. Sponge filter will do nothing to remove large waste. Yes, leaving it will affect water quality.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by White Worm View Post
    Remove the larger plastic end from the siphon and use just the hose when removing larger waste. Just hover above and there will be more suction. Note: you will suck up some sand if not careful and may have to eventually replace after a while. That is the trade-off when using sand. Sponge filter will do nothing to remove large waste. Yes, leaving it will affect water quality.
    I will try just the hose, I thought if the siphon was stronger that would be the best way, hopefully that does the trick, thanks!

Use a pump. Makes cleaning easy and water changes much faster. Regardless the pleco is going to make a mess. I love plecos but ultimately removed mine. Got tired of seeing all the pleco spaghetti on the sand every morning.

Is this tank planted ?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Use a pump. Makes cleaning easy and water changes much faster. Regardless the pleco is going to make a mess. I love plecos but ultimately removed mine. Got tired of seeing all the pleco spaghetti on the sand every morning.

Is this tank planted ?
    It is not really a planted tank, I have a few small vals and floating plants. I wanted the vals to grow to obscure the intake because it doesn't look nice, but I may take them out as they aren't really growing, and I got the floating plants to help diffuse the lights because I thought they seemed quite bright.

Can you please explain what you mean by using the pump to remove the poop? I do use a pump to pump new water into the aquarium during WC.

Quote Originally Posted by kristen View Post
    It is not really a planted tank, I have a few small vals and floating plants. I wanted the vals to grow to obscure the intake because it doesn't look nice, but I may take them out as they aren't really growing, and I got the floating plants to help diffuse the lights because I thought they seemed quite bright.

Can you please explain what you mean by using the pump to remove the poop? I do use a pump to pump new water into the aquarium during WC.
    Sure. Many of us use an external pump for water change rather than just trying to gravity siphon. It makes removal of debris easy and water changes quick. I use my python connected to the pump

Something like this although the pump I have is a little giant pump from home depot

WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump With Suction Hose And Attachment, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPZTEK..._oKdozb3YJZ25Y
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Sure. Many of us use an external pump for water change rather than just trying to gravity siphon. It makes removal of debris easy and water changes quick. I use my python connected to the pump

Something like this although the pump I have is a little giant pump from home depot

WAYNE PC2 Portable Transfer Water Pump With Suction Hose And Attachment, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPZTEK..._oKdozb3YJZ25Y
    This looks great, thanks for the link!

Real Name
    Jim

A stronger syphon will get the poop no problem, but how you increase the flow in the syphon tube is the problem. If you are running into a drain, then hook it up to the sink faucet and turn up the water pressure. If you're already doing that a pump may help but then you'd probably want to run it into a drain. Lowering where the syphon tube drains will increase flow due to the increased gravity pulling the water. My syphon tube drops 25 feet through the walls to the basement drain and even the largest poop doesn't stand a chance. I used pumps before I drilled between the walls and it helps, but not all that much - I used to use Eheim double tap connectors, one at the out put end of the pump and one on the end of my syphon tube so I didn't need to move the pump or leave the tubing sitting around. Without a valve of some type the water will drain through the pump even when it's turned off.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Eric

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    +1

Registered Member

Thanks all for the comments.
    I got the pump mentioned by Ryan. It is great for taking the water out of the tank fast, but I am sure I got sand in the pump already
    The gravel vacuum cleaner is not recommended for sand, so I think I won't be able to use that, though it looks very cool.
    So far the best thing has been taking off the dang larger plastic end from my hose and just using the small opening! I finally was able to get enough suction doing that. But it is a lot of footprint to suction with such a small opening, I am going to try to maneuver my powerheads to push the waste into one corner so I can get it quicker.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by kristen View Post
    The gravel vacuum cleaner is not recommended for sand, so I think I won't be able to use that, though it looks very cool..
    I have used it on sand for a year and recommend it.