AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filter Accessories

Registered Member

Default Filter Accessories

Hi all
    i just wanted to know what is the main difference, effect for each Filter from your experiences.

To my knowledge/ what amazon state.
    Zeo-Carb - Removes and controls harmful ammonia, Immense surface area for beneficial bacteria to populate
    Carbon - Adsorbs odors, discoloration and impurities
    Foam - Traps particles and debris; Tailored fit prevents bypass
    Biomax - Reduces ammonia and nitrate levels, Increases beneficial bacteria
    Ammonia - Removes toxic ammonia

thanks for your time.

Default Re: Filter Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by adeer View Post
    Hi all
    i just wanted to know what is the main difference, effect for each Filter from your experiences.

To my knowledge/ what amazon state.
    Zeo-Carb - Removes and controls harmful ammonia, Immense surface area for beneficial bacteria to populate
    Carbon - Adsorbs odors, discoloration and impurities
    Foam - Traps particles and debris; Tailored fit prevents bypass
    Biomax - Reduces ammonia and nitrate levels, Increases beneficial bacteria
    Ammonia - Removes toxic ammonia

thanks for your time.
    Most of us use some sort of mechanical filtration (foam) and some form of bio. Bio can be many different things. Biomass, ceramic rings, matrix, bio balls etc. Essentially something with a large amount of surface area to colonize the beneficial bacteria needed for the nitrogen cycle. Some believe in running carbon others do not

Your bio is removing ammonia and nitrite with end result being nitrate.

Foam is mechanical filtering out solid matter from the water.

What type of filter are you using?
    Last edited by Ryan925; 06-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

55 gallon tank
    i have two Aquaclear 70
    3 layers
    bottom ones a Foam
    middle's a Carbon
    top is Biomax or Ammonia

i also have a Air Pump, using Biochemical Sponge Filter (4-1/2-Inch wide) and 2 Air Stone (5.3 Inch wide each)

29 gallon
    i have one Aquaclear 30
    with a similar set up.

questions
    Isn't Biomax and ceramic ring the same thing ?
    Should i be running/using Matrix ?.
    All you actually need is a foam, Bio balls,Govine ?
    What type of filter set up do you have / what set up would you recommended me ?

thank you for your time.

Real Name
    Filip

The aquarium filtration is divided in 3 main and different groups : mechanical , biological and chemical .
    Mechanical filtration is sponge, foam , filter floss wool , micron socks etc. They serve purpose of catching the micron dirt particles that flow in water and should be cleaned or replaced regularly.

Biological filtration is Biobals , ceramic rings , Matrix (sponges too) and they serve the purpose of surface area on witch Beneficial bacteria is colonized. They should be kept clean but never replaced in order to keep the BB colonies of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter alive .

Chemical filtration is carbon , Zeolite , purigen , UVs ,phosphate / nitrate removers , and other similar resins . They are adsorbents of chemical impurities in the water and serves the purpose as the last stage filtration or tool for only a Fine tuning filtration of an already well established mechanical and Bio filtration system.
    They should be replaced or recharged regularly .

The usual order of materials in filter goes : mecanical filtration first , Bio filtration (most important ) as a second and chemical filtration (not necessary , only an addition ) goes last .

My canister filter is full with only a Biological filtration - Seachem Matrix, Sera biomax, Fluval rings and a lots of cheap LECA Clay or a hydroton balls .
    For a mechanical filtration I use only a small Filter floss wool wrapped around the intake witch I replace daily and bottom siphoning offcourse.

For a Chemical filtration I bought a 40W UV unit recently but still to lazy to drill holes and instali it in my cabinet .

As an ending note to this post about the filtration I must not forget the :

most powerfull ,
    most important ,
    all in one ,
    Bio-mech-chem,
    3 way filtration ,
    last but most certainly not least .....
    the mother of all filtration .....
    its majesty :

THE WATERCHANGE .
    Last edited by Filip; 06-08-2017 at 05:26 AM.

You should not need products sold as ammonia removers. As long as you have properly cycled bio media then you should have no worry of ammonia.

You can use whatever bio media is your a preference, whether that's biomax, matrix etc.

With aquaclear filters many will use a sponge over the intake then just pack the filter with all bio

I run a canister packed with a few different types of bio. I use a prefilter on my intake but I will be switching over to a sump I just built.

Registered Member

ok, so from the information you guys gave me (thank you) and some research.
    i am going to make some modifications to my filter.

o in my 55 gallon i also have 9W clarity plus UV sterilizer.

ok so i am think to set up all my aquaclear filter the same way. (my 29 gallon is my hospital tank should i make any addiction changes.)

so i going to have a
    Foam (bottom layer)
    mix of biomax, matrix, Filter Pre-Filter Media and Hydroponic Grow Media (middle/top) (is that too much going on/ what would guys recommended me, how would you set up the 3 aquaclear i have, one belonging to a hospital tank.

ok, so from the information you guys gave me (thank you) and some research.
    i am going to make some modifications to my filter.

o in my 55 gallon i also have 9W clarity plus UV sterilizer.

ok so i am think to set up all my aquaclear filter the same way. (my 29 gallon is my hospital tank should i make any addiction changes.)

so i going to have a
    Foam (bottom layer)
    mix of biomax, matrix, Filter Pre-Filter Media and Hydroponic Grow Media (middle/top) (is that too much going on/ what would guys recommended me, how would you set up the 3 aquaclear i have, one belonging to a hospital tank.
    What is the grow media for ?

You can fit more media in your hob if you do a sponge on the intake instead of in the filter itself

Also that 9w uv isn't doing a whole lot on a 55 other than maybe clarify the water a bit so don't rely on that

Registered Member

From what i remember reading, growing media neutralize pH, some slightly increase bacterial growth, and supposedly great if you have live plants.

i use Foam Set For Fluval Edge and a sponge, but how many gram, oz do you think i need of biomax, matrix, Filter Pre-Filter Media and Hydroponic Grow Media for my 55 gallon. or if you where set up my tank, how would you do it.

and ya the reason i got the 9w uv was for water clarity,but what benefits would i get by getting something bigger/stronger.

From what i remember reading, growing media neutralize pH, some slightly increase bacterial growth, and supposedly great if you have live plants.

i use Foam Set For Fluval Edge and a sponge, but how many gram, oz do you think i need of biomax, matrix, Filter Pre-Filter Media and Hydroponic Grow Media for my 55 gallon. or if you where set up my tank, how would you do it.

and ya the reason i got the 9w uv was for water clarity,but what benefits would i get by getting something bigger/stronger.
    There really isn't an exact amount. All your bio media is doing is providing surface area for bb. Whether that's matrix or biomax or both they are doing the same thing. In my canister I have it packed with two types. Matrix and substrat pro. I don't know how much I just put as much as would fit.

What is your source water ph? Have you aged it and checked ph? You don't really need ph altering products. All you need is stable ph.

As far as uv goes there are benefits to a properly sized and user uv. The biggest is sterilization. When used properly a uv unit can kill pathogens, algae, bacteria etc.

If I were using aquaclears I would probably pack it with as much of your matrix or biomax as possible and still fit a bag of purigen but that's just me. I haven't used hob filters in awhile.

Many here use them so maybe they can give you some suggestions.

If I remember in the aquaclear literature it tells you to replace bio, carbon and sponge every so often. Bio does not need to be replaced but can be gently rinsed with tank water occasionally to keep it clean.