AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with cloudy water

Default Re: Need help with cloudy water

I double the recommended dosage when re-filling
    Quote Originally Posted by dillct View Post
    How much Prime are you dosing with your water changes? What chlorine/chloramine levels are you targeting with each dosage?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Dam777 View Post
    I double the recommended dosage when re-filling
    Chloramines in your water? If so, have you tested the levels? I only ask because at the recommend dosage Prime only treats 1ppm chloramine. My tap runs close to 4ppm. If I didn't quadruple dose I'd have a tank full of dead fish. I use Safe at a 1/4 teaspoon per 50 gallons which will handle the 4ppm plus some.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

I gently rinse in the basket with aquarium water only. I use the bottom basket for the medium and fine filters, the very top were waters first enters is the coarse filter. So it goes from coarse to the bottom basket of medium then fine then through the two baskets of bio material then return back to tank. I did away with the floss filter that it passed through before going into tank. My theory is three stages of mechanical then bio material makes perfect sense. I don't use the filters supplied, I cut my own with filter material I get from Greatwave Engineering.
    Is it possible that your filter material from Greatwave Engineering is treated with some chemicals which gives you this problem ,only a suggestion.

No, the filter material they sell is specifically for aquarium and pond applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Is it possible that your filter material from Greatwave Engineering is treated with some chemicals which gives you this problem ,only a suggestion.

Just a quick update, since I've started using Pristine since Saturdays WC so far so clear! Just wish I could pin point why every once in a while it gets cloudy. Did I mention I have OCD, that could be the problem. lol

I have an issue that keeps popping up in my established 75gal show tank. It seems every two months I get cloudy water. My LFS guy claims its a bacterial bloom and suggested I tried Acurel. This does clear up the problem however by clumping all the bacteria so the filters can catch it creates a mess in my canisters. Im trying to find information on what causes this heterotrophic bacteria in the first place and eliminate it. Ive read lots of articles and some say frequent water changes can cause this type of bloom, kinda counteractive to my house cleaning routine (75% WC every two days). Could it possibly be something in my tap water? Too much or frequent wc's? Is there something I can add to my my filtration to help? I currently don't use any chemical filtration. Would a UV sterilizer work? Thanks in advance.

what are you feeding and how much?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

2 cubes daily FDBW.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    what are you feeding and how much?

al

What is the tank stocked with? and hows it set up? Bare? planted? Can you post a pic.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Currently 8 5-6" discus, 8 black phantom tetras, 6 cory's, and 2 small BN plecos. Thin layer of PFS, with 2 Eheim Pro4+ 350 canisters, 70% wc every other day.fullsizeoutput_4827.jpg

Cloudy water aside...2 cubes daily there is really not enough for that tank. Are you feeding anything else? . I wonder if that substrate is a factor.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I do feed the discus granules I got from Chicago Discus but only 3 of them will eat it. I also ordered the Discus Gold w/my last FDBW order but they have not taken to it yet. What do you recommend for the FDBW per day?
    Cloudy water aside...2 cubes daily there is really not enough for that tank. Are you feeding anything else? . I wonder if that substrate is a factor.

As you can see from this pic the water is fairly clear but you can notice white film on the surface. I have my spray bar pointed up breaking water surface and I have the Eheim skimmer running. Maybe Im being to picky but I have been on a good run as far as health and happy fish so Im hesitant to change anything. I did just remove some older dull PFS and top off with new during yesterdays WC, so that could have something to do with the surface film but the cloudy water just comes randomly every couple monthsIMG_0550.jpg
    Last edited by Dam777; 06-14-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Charles

An airstone will help with the surface film. I wouldn't run a discus tank without one.

I do feed the discus granules I got from Chicago Discus but only 3 of them will eat it. I also ordered the Discus Gold w/my last FDBW order but they have not taken to it yet. What do you recommend for the FDBW per day?
    Mine took awhile to take to the bio gold but now they love it. All foods take them a bit of time but once a few start to pick at it the rest catch on. I feed my beefheart flake, bio gold and fdbw. I've also fed them the fdbw pellets and Forrest aquabits and eventually that came around on all of it.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Have you had experience with PFS causing this? If it is the PFS wouldn't it be a constant cloudiness and not just once every 6-8 weeks? I really like the look but if it has to go I will remove it. What do recommend as far as FDBW cubes daily for these guys? Thx

Attachment 110501
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dam777; 06-16-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast