ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PB Strains?

Registered Member

Default PB Strains?

Hi, all. Is there a list somewhere of which strains are pigeon based? I am having trouble finding an easy reference and would appreciate any guidance!

Thanks,
    Linda

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: PB Strains?

Most non-pigeon blood Discus have black mood bars (brown, green, Alenquer, Curipera, blue diamond, turquoise, Heckel etc). Fish such as red and gold melons, rafflesia, Marlboro, albino reds, red and white, valentine etc are likely to be pigeon based. There is no end to the names, so too many to list.
    Post the name of the strain you are interested in and someone will be able to tell you what it is.
    There are some intermediates around now that show both pigeon and non pigeon traits. I am guessing these are non pigeon crossed with goldens that contain a small amount of pigeon genetics.

Registered Member

That makes sense, with the scattered amount of info I've been able to dig up!
    The fish I currently have are fire red x super red melon crosses and mandarins. The crosses all showed bars when they were small, but not all have obvious bars now. Would that mean they are non-pb? But melons are pb? Hence my confusion...
    I've been considering adding some more color variation with cobalt, flachen, or turqs.
    I wouldn't mind, down the road, trying my hand at breeding, so I would like to avoid mixing fish that shouldn't be paired together.

Real Name
    Matt

If they are red melon cross they are likely to be pigeon based. One way to spot pigeons is that they have black at the edge of the fins and peppering when stressed. In non pigeons the black is in a halo that does not reach the edge of the fins (look up rose red). This does not not work on super clean pigeons as they have no black, but often melons will show it.