ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water change frequency..

Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Water change frequency..

Yeah, cleanliness is the goal and if you age the water, you could probably change as much water as you want. If you don't age the water, your quality is the focus as there are dissolved gases in tap that will kill your fish quick. Many don't age and store their water so going over 75% is a big chance with expensive discus.

Registered Member

Forgive me as I don't have any discus yet till I understand everything. I have a 70 gal tank. I want to put in 4 discus. Can I get away with doing 20% water changes a week. Or is that not enough at all?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

4 is not a good number, in a 70 gal I would put 7. Follow the advice given on the forum: if you are getting juvies to grow out leave it bare bottom and change as much water as possible (I do 75% every day), if you are getting adults them you can add some decor and change water less frequently. Anyway always use water that is aged and chlorine free. Whatevet frequency of water chanhes you can do, try and do at least 50% every time (otherwise waste substances will always increase over time) ciao

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore989 View Post
    Forgive me as I don't have any discus yet till I understand everything. I have a 70 gal tank. I want to put in 4 discus. Can I get away with doing 20% water changes a week. Or is that not enough at all?
    It's not enough if you want them to grow. You'll do a lot better starting with a smaller tank, but pound the water changes.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I just got my first 6 discus I just have them in Quarantine right now and there only around 1.5” and am doing 50to60 % on the 20 g daily

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12