ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Snow White Discus, Dark Substrate

Registered Member

Default Snow White Discus, Dark Substrate

Hello,

My tank has black substrate. I was hoping to add to my school, but wanted to avoid discus that are going to darken against the ground. I have several that do darken (they are healthy. It's all the substrate.) They look awesome in their own way, but if I were to grow the school, I want to pull in some brighter colors.

I was hoping to add a white fish to the tank and wanted to know if snow white discus will pepper or darken with dark substrate? I see that they have a black center to their eye, so I don't know if that means they can do that camouflage thing where they darken or pepper against the substrate, or if they'll behave like an albino. Has anyone kept a snow white in tank with dark substrate?

Thank you!

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Snow White Discus, Dark Substrate

I have never seen any peppering on my Snow Whites. They tank they are in has a black background, but is bare bottom with a light color underneath.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

My snow white has no peppering, I keep them in a BB tank. I don't think snow white discus pepper, I never seen one.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

The only problem that i have had with my snow white discus was the fact that he gradually changed from pure white to a creamy white because of feeding tetra colorbits which has a red coloring agent.

Registered Member

Thank you for the information! I am currently looking into changing my substrate to something less dark, but it's good to know whether the fish will darken or not. Would love a white or cream flash of light in the tank.