AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 90 gallon first time discus

Default 90 gallon first time discus

Ok here is my 90 gallon with 6 two inch discus. I have been keeping fish for 20 years and have wanted Discus for almost that whole time. I went cheap just to see if I was going to be able to keep them, and I have found out that when I get something and start getting to know them well my taste change on what I like. so that being said I move my Gibberosa and compressiceps to a 125 and then that left me with the empty 90, great time to get some discus.
    I got a filter sponge from Angles Plus two days before the discus arrived and the discus where alive. They have been in the tank for a week and are eating well but I think 3 of them are stunted. I will post pictures but I'm sorry for the quality because I have an I phone.IMG_2064.jpg
    First the ones that I think are the good ones, Super Red, Ghost, and Blue Diamond.
    IMG_2030.jpg IMG_2034.jpgIMG_2042.jpg
    Now the bad ones, Cobalt, Snake Skin, and the worst and the one I wanted the most Pigeon Blood.
    IMG_2032.jpgIMG_2041.jpgIMG_2045.jpg

What you all think?
    Last edited by btrader; 06-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

Do you know how old these fish are? Where are they from? At 2" they often don't have great shape but to me the eye to body ratio of the two you are concerned about does look off but I'm no expert
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

No idea how old they are and I got them from IFish store. I'm not upset for the quality I know you get what you pay for but I did wish the PB was a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    No idea how old they are and I got them from IFish store. I'm not upset for the quality I know you get what you pay for but I did wish the PB was a better one.
    The pb the last one? Doesn't look a typical pb pattern but hard to tell

That's what I was thinking and it is supposed to be a checkerboard PB. You can't tell from the picture but it does have some good red on it which I think is a bad thing at that size right?

That's what I was thinking and it is supposed to be a checkerboard PB. You can't tell from the picture but it does have some good red on it which I think is a bad thing at that size right?
    At 2" they usually don't have much color and pattern. That will develop as they mature. The pattern looks more like a leapord or something. Looks like spots to me but may be the photo

When I got my checkerboard at 3-3.5 it was red but bit vibrant red and had the chexkboard pattern. It's the fish in my avatar

Yep yours is a little nicer. lol
    I guess only time will tell, thanks for your input.

Yep yours is a little nicer. lol
    I guess only time will tell, thanks for your input.
    Well hopefully you will end up with good results. Keep feeding good food and keeping water clean. Good luck

Registered Member BestGermandiscus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Juris Bileskalns

With triple feeding and WCH 2*30-40% in week will be OK.
    Discus are better eaters than Frontosa.
    Better keep little lower temperature (more oxigen) My 11 discus grown up till allmoust full size in 18month at 28.8'C_28.2'C
    I jump from Frontosa to discus (first time)
    Keep fishes for many years and dreaming all time for discus.

Ok here is a 5 month update, some have done great and some not so much. The three I thought where stunted are way smaller than the others. What do you all think? I need to move the three stunted and replace them with same size fish as the others , im in the works for that now.F43A48E5-0DE8-4EB3-9650-5191682C6682.jpgD198D0A1-386B-4224-B58D-E29CD89B1ECE.jpgE03130DF-8D4F-4229-9EEE-D6BDF6AD3A71.jpgBD7A8E27-13DB-403F-AB44-28D5D8CC34D5.jpg9A9CBDF5-B5CA-4700-9502-123A675E3B4A.jpg7D91827C-51BD-46ED-90D6-311B0B21293A.jpg

Ok here is a 5 month update, some have done great and some not so much. The three I thought where stunted are way smaller than the others. What do you all think? I need to move the three stunted and replace them with same size fish as the others , im in the works for that now.F43A48E5-0DE8-4EB3-9650-5191682C6682.jpgD198D0A1-386B-4224-B58D-E29CD89B1ECE.jpgE03130DF-8D4F-4229-9EEE-D6BDF6AD3A71.jpgBD7A8E27-13DB-403F-AB44-28D5D8CC34D5.jpg9A9CBDF5-B5CA-4700-9502-123A675E3B4A.jpg7D91827C-51BD-46ED-90D6-311B0B21293A.jpg
    If you decide to rehome those guys be sure to qt your replacements

Yes that is a must I’m thinking of Carnation pigeons I like the yellow and red together with a little white pattern on top.

Yes that is a must I’m thinking of Carnation pigeons I like the yellow and red together with a little white pattern on top.
    Nice choice. I have a few pb varieties. Checkerboard, golden checkerboard and rafflesia

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Nice choice. I have a few pb varieties. Checkerboard, golden checkerboard and rafflesia
    o

Ryan I love your golden checkerboard it doesn't even look like the same fish that you started with. They are now on my hit list too. It would be cool if you did a post with just it and how it has changed since you have had it.

o

Ryan I love your golden checkerboard it doesn't even look like the same fish that you started with. They are now on my hit list too. It would be cool if you did a post with just it and how it has changed since you have had it.
    Thanks. Though it has turned quite orange I do enjoy it. Actually my buddy Jenene posted a thread with exactly what you are talking about. I'll have to find the link.

Here it is

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Transformation