Kenny's Discus     Golden State Discus

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 90 gallon first time discus

  1. #1
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default 90 gallon first time discus

    Ok here is my 90 gallon with 6 two inch discus. I have been keeping fish for 20 years and have wanted Discus for almost that whole time. I went cheap just to see if I was going to be able to keep them, and I have found out that when I get something and start getting to know them well my taste change on what I like. so that being said I move my Gibberosa and compressiceps to a 125 and then that left me with the empty 90, great time to get some discus.
    I got a filter sponge from Angles Plus two days before the discus arrived and the discus where alive. They have been in the tank for a week and are eating well but I think 3 of them are stunted. I will post pictures but I'm sorry for the quality because I have an I phone.IMG_2064.jpg
    First the ones that I think are the good ones, Super Red, Ghost, and Blue Diamond.
    IMG_2030.jpg IMG_2034.jpgIMG_2042.jpg
    Now the bad ones, Cobalt, Snake Skin, and the worst and the one I wanted the most Pigeon Blood.
    IMG_2032.jpgIMG_2041.jpgIMG_2045.jpg

    What you all think?
    Last edited by btrader; 06-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Do you know how old these fish are? Where are they from? At 2" they often don't have great shape but to me the eye to body ratio of the two you are concerned about does look off but I'm no expert
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  3. #3
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    No idea how old they are and I got them from IFish store. I'm not upset for the quality I know you get what you pay for but I did wish the PB was a better one.

  4. #4
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    No idea how old they are and I got them from IFish store. I'm not upset for the quality I know you get what you pay for but I did wish the PB was a better one.
    The pb the last one? Doesn't look a typical pb pattern but hard to tell
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  5. #5
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    That's what I was thinking and it is supposed to be a checkerboard PB. You can't tell from the picture but it does have some good red on it which I think is a bad thing at that size right?

  6. #6
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    That's what I was thinking and it is supposed to be a checkerboard PB. You can't tell from the picture but it does have some good red on it which I think is a bad thing at that size right?
    At 2" they usually don't have much color and pattern. That will develop as they mature. The pattern looks more like a leapord or something. Looks like spots to me but may be the photo

    When I got my checkerboard at 3-3.5 it was red but bit vibrant red and had the chexkboard pattern. It's the fish in my avatar
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  7. #7
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Yep yours is a little nicer. lol
    I guess only time will tell, thanks for your input.

  8. #8
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    Yep yours is a little nicer. lol
    I guess only time will tell, thanks for your input.
    Well hopefully you will end up with good results. Keep feeding good food and keeping water clean. Good luck
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  9. #9
    Registered Member BestGermandiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Riga,Latvia,East EU
    Posts
    62
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Juris Bileskalns

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    With triple feeding and WCH 2*30-40% in week will be OK.
    Discus are better eaters than Frontosa.
    Better keep little lower temperature (more oxigen) My 11 discus grown up till allmoust full size in 18month at 28.8'C_28.2'C
    I jump from Frontosa to discus (first time)
    Keep fishes for many years and dreaming all time for discus.

  10. #10
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Ok here is a 5 month update, some have done great and some not so much. The three I thought where stunted are way smaller than the others. What do you all think? I need to move the three stunted and replace them with same size fish as the others , im in the works for that now.F43A48E5-0DE8-4EB3-9650-5191682C6682.jpgD198D0A1-386B-4224-B58D-E29CD89B1ECE.jpgE03130DF-8D4F-4229-9EEE-D6BDF6AD3A71.jpgBD7A8E27-13DB-403F-AB44-28D5D8CC34D5.jpg9A9CBDF5-B5CA-4700-9502-123A675E3B4A.jpg7D91827C-51BD-46ED-90D6-311B0B21293A.jpg

  11. #11
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    Ok here is a 5 month update, some have done great and some not so much. The three I thought where stunted are way smaller than the others. What do you all think? I need to move the three stunted and replace them with same size fish as the others , im in the works for that now.F43A48E5-0DE8-4EB3-9650-5191682C6682.jpgD198D0A1-386B-4224-B58D-E29CD89B1ECE.jpgE03130DF-8D4F-4229-9EEE-D6BDF6AD3A71.jpgBD7A8E27-13DB-403F-AB44-28D5D8CC34D5.jpg9A9CBDF5-B5CA-4700-9502-123A675E3B4A.jpg7D91827C-51BD-46ED-90D6-311B0B21293A.jpg
    If you decide to rehome those guys be sure to qt your replacements
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  12. #12
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Yes that is a must I’m thinking of Carnation pigeons I like the yellow and red together with a little white pattern on top.

  13. #13
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    Yes that is a must I’m thinking of Carnation pigeons I like the yellow and red together with a little white pattern on top.
    Nice choice. I have a few pb varieties. Checkerboard, golden checkerboard and rafflesia
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

  14. #14
    Registered Member btrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    41
    iTrader
    0

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Nice choice. I have a few pb varieties. Checkerboard, golden checkerboard and rafflesia
    o

    Ryan I love your golden checkerboard it doesn't even look like the same fish that you started with. They are now on my hit list too. It would be cool if you did a post with just it and how it has changed since you have had it.

  15. #15
    Silver Member Ryan925's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    SF bay area
    Posts
    2,729
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

    Default Re: 90 gallon first time discus

    Quote Originally Posted by btrader View Post
    o

    Ryan I love your golden checkerboard it doesn't even look like the same fish that you started with. They are now on my hit list too. It would be cool if you did a post with just it and how it has changed since you have had it.
    Thanks. Though it has turned quite orange I do enjoy it. Actually my buddy Jenene posted a thread with exactly what you are talking about. I'll have to find the link.

    Here it is

    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Transformation
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

discustoday.info             AquaticSuppliers.com