AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How do you age that much water?

Real Name
    Steve

Default How do you age that much water?

I've got 400 gal in my fish room, thinking of adding more for the summer. After years of cutting my hard well water with RO, I'm trying to move toward closer to straight well water. Between micro bubbles and pH swing, I still need to let it age. It's nice to be able to use tap water, but if I have to have enough room to age say 200 gal daily, it's a pain. What do folks do?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Navarro A. E.

Default Re: How do you age that much water?

I use 4 40 gal barrels and in each one I use a weighted air stone and a heater. I have not had a problem with the water. I am on well water and my ph is always 8.4 . Even after aging the water it is still 8.4 so I let the ph along and I only age to get rig of the chlorine and the chlorine and chloarmines. I am on a community well so that's why we have the chems.

Mama Bear

Real Name
    Kevin

I personally use an IBC 250 gallon tote that I keep stored in my garage. I have a water line piped straight to the tote from my water heater with a ball valve connected to easily refill it once I'm done. I have an air stone and a submersible 1,000 gph pump inside the tank to refill my 265 gallon aquarium. I also use tap water and have to age it due to a huge PH swing, coming out of the tap my water is at 8.3 or higher and after aging 24 hours it then drops down to around 7.1-7.2

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I've got 400 gal in my fish room, thinking of adding more for the summer. After years of cutting my hard well water with RO, I'm trying to move toward closer to straight well water. Between micro bubbles and pH swing, I still need to let it age. It's nice to be able to use tap water, but if I have to have enough room to age say 200 gal daily, it's a pain. What do folks do?
    Steve I am very limited on space here, so I make do with less.. I Simply Don't age all my water.. I save the aged water for my young fry and pairs... Everyone else including my wilds...gets tap water straight from the tap...but not huge water changes.. I have a huge swing to deal with. My tap (well water) is loaded with CO2. Depending on the time of year I can run between 5.8-6.5 out of the tap and then swing to 7.8 aged as the Co2 off gases . I will stress my fish and have killed my fish if I do too big of a water change from tap. Years of trial and error led me to the conclusion I an do 30-40% max from Tap and they are fine....and that is what is what I do.

hth.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images