ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Old Fish Keeper, New to Forum (Also posted in Gen Discussion under Sticy)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Default Old Fish Keeper, New to Forum (Also posted in Gen Discussion under Sticy)

Good morning. My name is Beth and I've been keeping fish for around 30 yrs. I've worked in fish only shops and regular pet shops and mail order shops etc.. I have always had a fascination with life under water and since I was a child and converted my first wading pool to a pond, I've always brought some of that fascination home with me.

Up until a couple of years ago, that fascination was with a living reef system that I had in my 125 for 8 or 9 years. Due to some medical issues, I had to break the tank down and decide what I would do with it. After a year of thought and planning, I decided to go with discus, in particular the German Stendker discus as I did not want to do more then keep them fed, clean, and warm.

I now have 9 discus fish in the 125 with a dirt bottom and a layer of course gravel, assorted plants that are tolerant of the high temps discus require, and a few "dither" fish. The discus seem happy and are growing well and aside from one I refer to as the "genetic anomaly", every one is as beautiful as I expected.

I chose to begin with fish already past the childhood woes and started off with 4" fish. This allowed me to keep the feeding, and associated waste down to the minimum required for adult fish though they still get fed 3 times a day and still get a once a week water change.

Although I had no intentions of breeding, the fish did not get that message and have decided to do their own thing with multiple spawns happening what seems like all the time. Unfortunately, the males (assuming they are males) don't seem to understand their part beyond displaying, nest cleaning, and guarding their turf. So, I have joined here to ask questions in the breeding forum. If ever a male actually fertilizes the eggs, I may give it a shot.

Default Re: Old Fish Keeper, New to Forum (Also posted in Gen Discussion under Sticy)

Welcome to SimplyDiscus Beth!!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Old Fish Keeper, New to Forum (Also posted in Gen Discussion under Sticy)

Hi Beth, good to have another girl here! I also began fishkeeping as a little girl with a small pool in the backyard, with tadpoles. Would love to see a pic of your tank.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

Hard to get the whole tanks as it is a 125 but here's a section of it. I am also not the best photographer to be found.

Discusin June.jpg

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Nice tank Beth! Hope you will be at NADA next July. You will be so close.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Welcome to Simply!

Mishka
    "No I am not sending you that video! Although cash is king!"
    ~SOS California Crew~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Beth Beardsley

I finally broke down and looked up NADA and got hugely excited as its only an hour and a half from where I live. Then I noticed the date

Hopefully the thread will get more active around that time since my memory isn't what it could be.